Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gear

I have heard throughout the last six years of my daughter's dancing career that quality of ballet shoes matter to the quality of performance.  We purchased dance lessons for my daughter's Christmas gift the winter of her Kindergarten year.  And yes, I went to the less-is-more type of shoe store where they don't even help you size your feet.  The do-it-yourself store.  I figured that a ballet shoe was a ballet shoe for a girl age six.  Wrong.  It wasn't long before I was driving to the real dance store to get her fit with real ballet shoes.

When I started swim lessons this spring, I kept analyzing my gear. Starting off with the basic swimsuit and goggles that I had had for years.  I figured that if I fell in love with the sport, that I'd treat myself to an upgrade.

Over the course of weeks and saving my money, I have upgraded my swimsuit to a stream lined black version that looks rather sporty.  With cross over straps in back it makes me feel a little Olympic-like as it makes my torso look more muscular than it actually is.

A few weeks after that I talked with a lifeguard at the pool regarding swim caps.  I had been swimming with out one, but my hair had been taking a beating with my regular weekly swim routine. At that moment she talked me out of it ~ cumbersome to put on, you still had to get your hair wet to put it on, they leak, they can give you a headache, etc. etc. etc. But I kept eying the other women in the pool with theirs on, and with mine not, and finally decided to give it a try.

I purchased the Speedo Silicon Black Swim Cap via Amazon along with new sleeker looking goggle; also from Speedo.  They arrived over the weekend and I tried them out for the first time today.

It. Was. Amazing!

My hair no longer floats out of my pony tail and into my face, I feel streamlined, the cap actually makes my head toasty warm, which causes a better workout from sweating (yes, you can sweat in the water), I did not have a headache, and my goggles were a nice tint to make the florescent ceiling lights more attractive. I feel like a complete athletic swimmer ~ I blend into lane #2 and #5 who are rock star swimmers.

Gotta get the correct gear to get the job done.  Lovin' the Speedo brand for swim caps and goggles!!!

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

As the mother of a former competitive figure skater who purchased custom made ice skates from a bootmaker that makes boots to champions world wide, I agree.

I remember our first trip to Klingbeil's in Jamaica Plains, NY, and how excited the 3 of us were. My daughter was around the age of your daughter.