Thursday, October 8, 2009

The New Room

I spent this past weekend repainting my son's room and dresser. It has been somewhat of a long process because my son didn't know what paint color to choose, but he knew he wanted something in green. So my husband and my son went to the paint store last week and chose Spring Eve, bought a test quart, added some to the wall, and then decided it was a little too light. I went back the following day and purchased another test quart of the shade one step darker, Green Pastures. That was the one we chose.

Due to scheduling, a few days later I had all the supplies in hand and I was ready to lock myself in my son's room and go for it. Everything went smoothly until the very end. It was Sunday afternoon, the walls were painted, the dresser was painted, things were trickling back into his room .... and that is when I noticed some spots that needed to be touched up.

My thought was that rather than getting the bowl dirty again that we pour the paint into (rather than lugging the gallon paint quart around), I would just get the test quart for the few touch up places. I painted away. Then we ordered pizza, and had dinner; glad to be completed.

My son went upstairs and called down to me, "Mom, the paint doesn't seem to match." I ran upstairs and sure enough, all the places I touched up were just slightly lighter, but obvious. Grrr, I must have grabbed Spring Eve instead. Grabbing the for-sure test quart of Green Pastures, I went back to his room to fix my error.

Just before bed, my son calls me back, "Mom, it still is not matching". Now, three things run through my head. First, wet paint needs to dry before it turns the real shade of color, so I am allowing the mistake to be truly that and not my mind going crazy. There is a reason why as I was painting it was not matching. It was wet paint. Second, perhaps the color in the test quart was not made correctly, as it obviously does not match the two gallon buckets I used to originally paint the walls. Third, I don't paint very often and can mark this off as a Rookie Mistake.

Back to the laundry room, I drug out the bucket, poured some of the remaining paint from the gallon bucket into it. No more cutting corners. If this third time touch-up painting job does not work, I will throw in the towel and try to convince my son that the two tone difference in wall color is actually the new hip way to paint.

In the end, I got the room painted. It looks so great in his room and he loves it! And my daughter likes to say, "It is very earthy." We all like that.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

6 comments:

Francie said...

Nice job! I like the colors!

Tina in CT said...

You must have been ready to pull your hair out!

Rachael said...

Oh, having just completed my own little paint project, I feel your pain! I had to do two whole coats on my job, since I chose a lighter color than what had been previously up.

It looks great!

P.S. Don't you love looking at all the paint chip names? I swear, that influences my decision!

Willow said...

that looks so cool! i love how you painted the dresser!

crispy said...

Love the colors. Nice job.

Kathy said...

Looks good - and so much more "grown up!" Did you paint the main part brown, or is it stripped and stained??
I agree with Rachael - the names definitely sway my decisions. I really liked a certain shade of pink for my little girl's room - until I realized it was called "Fuss Budget!" I couldn't jinx my unborn baby into being fussy just because of the color of her room! :) Instead, we went with "Hopscotch Heather"