Friday, October 30, 2009

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

Just by a smidge. I volunteer every Friday afternoon in both of my children's classrooms. However, I was able to miss both Harvest parties today (not that I would mind attending, but I'm perfectly fine with the kids partying it up with friends and teachers with out me). Instead, I sat in the hallway correcting Timed Math Tests for multiplication and division for my daughter's 5th Grade Class. With no answer key.

Granted, I do not need an answer key, but when the stack is a mile long (daily tests = 5, number of students in the class is 30, tests in all = 150) your brain suddenly turns to mush when you are skimming along and then find errors off by one ... 6x8=48 not 46 ... and so on. Everything just turns into one big mess as I am trying to beat the clock and get this stack completed. I am like that; give me a job and I gotta finish! And no, correcting the extra smart math student's test first does not work, because they have different versions of each test, so copying off another student's paper (for the corrector too) does not work.

I came out of volunteering kinda in a zone and my kids asked me if I was feeling okay. Ha! Not to mention the Principal and Dean of Students walked down the hall at separate times to chuckle at me being sent to the hall on Harvest Party Day to correct math tests ... the Principal asked: Whom should I be talking to around here to get that changed? And then thanked me for my volunteer help as I walked to my car in that half zombie walk.

My parents will be ringing our doorbell any minute so that my husband and I can enjoy a Date Night out to dinner and a movie. I just might be Smarter Than a Fifth Grader, but it was a lotta work!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Well I hope you get to see a good movie, as reward!

Tina in CT said...

I agree with you on all of it.