My hubby and I had plans to hang out with two amazing people last night, but their Little came down with a double ear infection and they had to cancel. Having my parents already scheduled to be with our kiddos, we decided to continue with a date night. We haven't had wanna these in a while, so it was a real treat.
Nothing too fancy, but just our style. We enjoyed some pizza and salad before seeing the movie Ides of March. I purposefully went into the movie without knowing the reviews or premise of the movie - other than it was a movie about politics. Sounded good.
And it was. The cast was made up of some of my favorites - George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Paul Giamatti ... and not to forget Marisa Tomei. Wonderful. The premise, heartbreaking. This is probably so close to truth, that it hurts to think about it. I am sure this actually is just one snippet of real life politics.
I don't want to give much away, as I think it is sometimes best to go into a movie clueless. But I will say that as we are running a Presidential Race right now, it is key to remember that tricks, lies, and persuasion from those in politics - and I'm not even talking about the "real" Politician but their behind-the-scenes gurus they hire - have over the voters just for election wins. For the good of the people? Not necessarily. For the tally mark. That's it.
This movie hits home.
Side notes:
My husband and I were seated in an acoustically sensitive area of the pizza joint. For some reason, the conversation of the two tables surrounding us bounced off the walls perfectly. It was not hard to ease-drop.
Unfortunately, one man could not get over his ex-of-THREE-years and spent our entire dinner sharing all the details of the post-break-up saga to his friend, or brother ... while the woman in her late 70's to our left was having some sort of Oprah Aw-Ha! moment about "life". A late, late, late mid-life crisis perhaps?
We move onto the movie theater and there is some hub-bub scandle that a movie patron in the middle of the theater would not move over one to allow two seats to be together for two that would like to sit together. Her reasoning? She came early to the theater to get these seats. The two polite requesting patrons sat one each side of her. Gutsy.
My thoughts from all of the social frenzy around me? Can't we all just get along? Forgive your ex, relax over your life, and move over for others.
No comments:
Post a Comment