Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ahh, NOVEMBER ramblings!!!

We made it. Holiday season is upon us. The sky was completely blue today with perhaps a little white thrown in, but the air was bitter cold. It didn't really warm up until about 2:00p when I was outside with the California dog (CCI). The sun felt good directly on my face, but the rest of my body continued to fight off the remaining cold.

Holiday decor has taken over the shelves of the big box stores, the Halloween decor and candy have been tucked away on the Clearance Racks. I may not be a Halloween fan, and my true longing is for the Holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas to come near - but I do feel it is a wee-bit early for all the Holiday decor in stores. Thanksgiving decor (which is not much, when there really should be more) - yes, this is the time to display. But Christmas decor? Not yet.

I do like the Starbucks red cups, however.

Wow, my last few posts have been very opinionated!! I guess I am showing my age at 40 - something like the older you get, the more you voice your opinions?  I don't know ...

Remember last years Campsite Reservation Craziness? Where we had to spend literally two days trying to beat the system and reserve a campsite online for July '11?

Well, this year we forgot all about the reservation until we were driving to Church. My son casually asked about the campsite - and all of us froze when we remembered we had not done anything about it.

Immediately when we returned home, I jumped on the computer and found one site remaining for the time frame that we enjoy going. Yea! No repeat of last year's reservation stress, and we have a prime location!

Growing pains. It is hard to watch your child go through the process of finding their focus in extra-curricular activities. We are a family that is a firm believer in setting boundaries in regards to how much is on one's calendar. We can't do it all, as much as we'd like to. Teaching the kids responsibility in choosing wisely their interests, we are finding is a learning path for both parent and child.

Yes, hubby and I would love to say YES on every interest of our children. But time management-wise, it is not acceptable, nor doable. A life lesson learned at a young age.

My girl has been our Energizer Bunny since day one. You give her a task, she puts forth 100%. She's clung to her interests, not wavering much throughout the years. Seventh grade, however, has seen more flip-flop decision making on her part. She's growing.

Helping guide her to see the big picture in making her own decisions is ... our reality now. I know she will make wise choices - after all this is all fun stuff, but fun stuff also has responsibility and sacrifices attached.

November Ramblings - thankful there is "stuff" going on in my life, no matter how big or small, thankful for our "stuff".  Welcome, November!!

No comments: