Sunday, November 13, 2011

I am no ...

actress.

I was asked to give a short testimony on how my life has changed through being a member of our Church. The good news was that it was video taped and I got multiple tries to get it right. The hard part will be seeing myself on the big screen next Sunday during our Church's Brunch and kick off to our Capital Improvement Campaign.

I like to consider myself a writer (I'm sure not all of you would agree), and so when I was asked by one of our Pastors to fill in the blank on how my life has changed ... I thought it was going to be published in some fashion via writing.

It was not until Friday when I received a message regarding the video. I stewed for 24 hours, and then was sent another email. I went against everything I believe in about email - I always respond to email. But not this time. This one I was trying to hide from. But they "caught me" and sent me another email.

Yes, of course I had to put on my big girl pants and follow through. Even though inside I was trying to find the perfect excuse why it just wouldn't work. Sometimes I regret sharing at the  dinner table. My son's reply, "Mom! I had to talk in front of 1,000 people at the Veteran's Day Assembly and sometimes I didn't even feel like doing it! I wanted to back out. But I didn't. I will be in the room with you if you want me to. I will be there to give you the thumbs up sign."


So we took two cars today and my hubby and daughter took the CCI dog home while my son and I went up to the media room off the loft of the balcony. I was the first to go; so I got to sit under the bright lights as the videographer tested the lighting and got things set up.

I wasn't nervous; I was just more frustrated that I have zero ounce of acting inside of me. Natural? I have to talk natural on something I wrote? I don't do well with memorized lines and natural, and I am certainly not a good ad-libber. My kiddos definitely got their awesome skills from my hubby, and for that I am truly grateful. What a needed skill that I am missing.

In the end my son gave me the thumbs up sign and said I did great. Not to worry, that by the time people clue into the video that my sentences would be finished and they won't remember. I am holding onto that. I hope he is right.

Climbing out of my comfort zone to accomplish a task, and to be a small example to my kids is not always the best party, but is needed. I am no actress ... but I did the best I could.

1 comment:

Brianne said...

That is awesome!! I know that so many people will be blessed by your testimony. And what a BIG example to your kiddos!!