My husband answered the phone late Wednesday; a phone call from our Church. All I could hear from his den was, "We'd be honored to. Sure. Okay...Yep. Okay. Uh-huh..."
Today we had the honor of lighting the Advent candle and saying the verse and prayer for the first candle of Advent at our church.
After a short introduction of our family by my husband, my girl said a paragraph of words, followed by my husband's paragraph. The microphone was handed next to my son who said the the verse, John 1:9 and lit the candle. My husband said a prayer, and we returned to our seats.
Me? Yes, it was our family deal that I had my "moment" last week when the video was shared of my testimony about how our church changed my life. I was not adding much drama a few posts ago when I said I am not a fan of public speaking. Even the video was pushing my comfort zone.
I know some would say, "Elle J, what was your college major?" and I would reply with a sigh, "Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations."
My college days were filled with speeches and presentations, and while I am certainly more outgoing with my age, ever since having children I find myself much more emotional in public speaking situations. To the point of getting the wobbly voice and people staring "dear in the headlights" at me questioning, "Why is she so emotional over this topic?"
I just knew, that given the situation of Advent and the beauty of honoring Christ ~ that I just might get that wobbly voice again. Truly, I know Advent is not worthy of tears and a shaky voice. I know that. It is a celebration and ... FUN!! Right?
The family was gracious to allow Mom a "Pass" ... afterall, "She did do the video."
My family was spot-on perfect. They read clearly, slowly, and with a smile. They were confident and yet soft. It was perfect.
I smiled - and kept watch over the Church carpet to be sure that the ember that flew off the Candle Lighter as my son accidently turned "up" the wick, rather than snuff it out, did not cause a Church Fire during my husband's prayer. I did have a purpose - just nobody else recognized it.
All kidding aside ~ I know God knows my heart and knows my challenges, and appreciates my support of my family and our church. It was a nice ending to the Thanksgiving weekend, and the start of our Christmas weeks.
The Season of Advent - so honored to be a small part of our Church celebration as we recognize Christ has come, He continues to be present in our lives, and we wait for His return.
No comments:
Post a Comment