Friday, March 26, 2010

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y

I like the line in the movie Father of the Bride when the daughter comes home from her European Study Abroad program and her fiancé, whom she met while studying, is coming over to meet the parents.  The young twenty-ish daughter is bounding out the door for a date with her fiancé when her father says, "You might want a coat, it is cold outside."  To which the daughter shrugs and says that she'll be fine.  The fiancé chimes in, "You might want a coat, it is cold outside."  The daughter in a surprised tone, as if she'd never heard the advice before, says, "Oh, okay" and grabs her coat. 

Sprinkled throughout my adult life my mom has been encouraging me with little sayings about getting in the water and learning how to swim. As I've mentioned in previous blog posts, with a surprised reaction from many, my parents enrolled me in swim lessons under my duress as a child and as a result, I never truly have felt confident nor grasped the necessary level of swim proficiency. 

My good friend has been to Hawaii twice this year with her family; a perk that comes through her husband's employer.  Both sets of travel pictures showed an amazing water adventure with dolphins, sea turtles, fish, surf boards, and relaxing swim fun with her family.  I made the mistake of commenting to her about my lack of swim skills and thought nothing of my confession. 

Two weeks later she wrote a lengthy email to me about how much my comment about my lack of swim skills was bothering her.  By the end of the email, she was the fiancé in the Father of the Bride movie and I was listening to her. She challenged me to call our local community pool and get registered for private swim lessons. 

Given a timeline, the push I needed, I called with ten hours to spare and got my date, time, and swim instructor on my calendar. Within the month of April, I will have had my first swim lesson and will be in the water swimming for the first time in thirty years.  

In time if I cross the swimming pool with out panic, cross a lake with out drowning, swim in the safe zone of an ocean, and enjoy it ... then I will have her to thank for the final push, the blog friends who recently added their encouragement the last time I blogged about this to make it jump to the forefront in my mind, and ... my mom who started the nudge way-back-when. 

I might just treat our family to a Hawaiian vacation!

8 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Good for you. As I'd commented before, I really encourage you to learn. I am a FIRM believer that everyone should know how to swim.

Where my daughter went to college, it is a must and all entering freshmen take a swimming test. If you don't pass, you are enrolled in mandatory swimming lessons. You also have to pass a test for proficiency in a second language.

Good luck with your lessons. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

A trip to Hawaii - now that's an expensive treat for learning to swim.

Elle J said...

Tina ~ I know, the Hawaiian vacation is just a dangling carrot that may not transpire for another decade, but hey. =) LOVE the college requirement. That really should be a must for all colleges. That is great.

Kathy said...

Yay!! Glad to hear you are doing something for YOURSELF! We'll all be anxious to hear how the lessons are going. Even if you don't become a Michael Phelps, at least you'll overcome the fear of water and be able to hold your own. It will add to the many wonderful and fun opportunities for your family! Way to go! You definitely will earn that Hawaii trip!
I'm kinda bummed that I won't be getting those photography lessons now that you went with a different instructor ;)

Elle J said...

Kathy ~ the offer still stands ~ we could meet in the middle of the country. =) I will be sure to report back after my first lesson. Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

On another subject. Is Sophie in your future?????

Tina in CT said...

Just saw your comment on my blog. When you do plan a trip to NE and OSV, let me know and I'll meet you there.

My daughter is there today with a group from her school.

Anonymous said...

Good for you... you will be so proud of yourself!!! It is so hard to overcome fears (remember my skiing story) but so worth it.

Without fear, there is no courage.
Embrace the fear, find the courage!

Anonymous said...

Are you nervous? I am counting the minutes...can't wait to see you take this leap of faith and come out smiling and confident on the other side...your "pushy" friend! :)