1). Not because my parents didn't try, or were neglectful, but I am a lousy swimmer. I wouldn't go so far as to say I can't swim, but I am not good. OH, okay, I can't swim! I might be able to save my life with a back float but I would not want to be plunged into the middle of a lake to find out. I will only go in certain pool depths, always wear a life jacket while on a boat or raft, and never venture far if beached by a lake or ocean. My children, thankfully, really do know how to swim. I've been challenged by my mom in the last few years to take private swim lessons ... I took Tina in Connecticut's challenge ... I might take my moms.
2). I played the song Faithfully by Journey during a wedding ceremony when I was a junior in high school. I had to accompany the Groom's Uncle who sang the solo. He had a little country twang to his words and voice tone, it just wasn't the same, but I will always remember that song with that wedding.
3). Famous Elle J quote circa 1984: "Their not home right now, but they said they didn't want any." Spoken when my mom made me answer the front door for practice after a solicitor rang the doorbell; while my mom was safely around the corner at home. Could you tell my mom was onto something? My quote didn't make sense! Not only that, I gave away the number one error, never admitting that you are home alone (even though I wasn't). Needless to say, I had to answer a few more solicitor door bell rings that summer. Now, I don't even answer.
4). The first time I got my hair bleached, it was my mom's idea and she took me to the beauty salon in ninth grade. I went from dusty brown to bleach blonde over Spring Break as my birthday gift. I kept the blonde color from that moment forward until about six years ago when I turned to reddish brown.
5). I went to one sleep away camp one time in my life; just two nights for Campfire Girls Club and I could not stand a single minute of it. I was homesick and it rained and the musty smell and dirt of the cabin creeped me out. However, I went away to college and stayed in a dorm room with zero people that I knew on campus, and enjoyed every.single.minute of my college years.
6). I always wanted to be a Surgical Nurse for an Opthamologist; but the intense science background and wearing a mask "all day" turned me off. Why did I zero in on such a specialized field so young and not switch my dream until the bitter end? Because I wanted to work in the medical field, but did not want to see any person unrobed. I figured that only left me with either the teeth, or the eyes. The eyes seemed more mysterious and interesting.
7). My biggest pet peeve is gum smacking. I was a participant of this habit up until two years ago when I got orthodontic braces put on and then stopped chewing gum. Funny what you tune into when you no longer participate in something. I can hear a gum smacker from a long distance away and it is like finger nails on a chalkboard to me. Even though my braces are off, I have not gone back to chewing gum.
8). I should take over Oprah's job when she retires at the end of this season. I could sit and listen to someone share their life stories and interests all day long. I love to interview people and get the scoop about their life. I am truly that interested in others and I firmly believe that every one has a story to share. College days brought me to a Communications Major because I had my sights set on working for a newspaper or television to be the likes of Barbara Walters; who was the woman in that profession when I was growing up.
9). I got my best Grade Point Average-ever during my Spring Semester, Sophomore year, at college. The extra sweet spot was that I accomplished it while being away from school for 4 weeks nursing myself back to health after being diagnosed with Mono and Strep. I did not attend classes, but would get myself to the Professor to pick up my work (pre-internet) and get myself back to my parent's house to complete the assignments between sleeping. Two years later, I graduated with Honors. Boo-Ya!
10). I have always dreamed of living in the country ...
6 comments:
Great blog and thanks for taking the challenge. Now on to those private swimming lessons. I am a really staunch believer in swimming and had my daughter in the pool at about 7 weeks old and really swam pretty well at 3 and was a little fish. I guess because of my grandmother and father's love for swimming that I was the same. You can do it!
awe.... the gum smacking. I'm with you, and so are my sisters and my neice. We all HATE it so much. My mom only gets gum from us on LOAN, that way we can ask for it back if she gets carried away, and she always does! I have to sneak a piece of gum any time I want one so that the person I'm with doesn't say "oh, can I have one too".
I am really surprised you can't swim! That would scare me. Your mom is right, you should take lessons. You never know when you might need to know how.
Random is good.
I've been tagged too. I best get to work. I've been such a slacker blogger lately. This cold is clogging my creativity, I think.
#6 is funny to me. =) Kristen wants to be something scientific that doesn't involve seeing blood. She's honed in on optometrist currently. (Since an ophthalmologist would have to go to do surgery.)
Rachael ~ I went to the optometrist last week and I can see Kristen doing that. I think it would be a great job; how cool to look into people's eyes and see how they see things. Hope she goes for it. =)
Natalie ~ lack of swim skills/know-how scares me too ... perhaps this will be the year I accomplish that skill!!
I enjoyed your list of 10 random things - and yes, random is good!
It's too bad you live on the other end of the country. I was a lifeguard for four years, plus taught kids' swimming lessons. I'd definitely teach you how to swim in exchange for a few photography lessons from your hubby :)
Kathy ~ I would totally take you up on that; you'd be the type of instructor that I would need to get myself to swim lessons.
Post a Comment