Monday, March 29, 2010

Not my style

I feel trapped between the orthodontist chair and the orthodontist.  I am at the complete mercy of his wisdom and it drives me crazy because when it comes to tooth knowledge I know nothing and he knows everything, I guess, or I hope.

I am having a final procedure completed this Thursday. Let me see if I can explain this with my understanding, and I am probably off a whole bit, but once again my tooth knowledge does not match any person whose been through orthodontic training.  The top of each person's tooth has a grid and for the last 30-something years my grid has fit together a certain way.  Now that my bite has been transferred to a new form, my grid no long fits in the same puzzle formation.  I have high points that are causing the teeth not to sit correctly.  This is not uncommon and it makes sense why the puzzle no longer fits.

But now in order to fix the puzzle for life, I have to have the tops of certain teeth ground down to fit and lock in place with each other.  Apparently this is very intense work for the doctor, one that takes skill and mastery, because if he grinds too much in one area, whammooo, a crown will need to be put in place because I can't grow back enamel to fix the error of too much being filed away.

In order to reach the ortho chair for appointment day on Thursday, I had to go in bright and early this morning to get new molds taken so he can do a "run through" before I show up at Noon.  Well, that is a good thing.  But also, apparently, my jaw needs a new alignment too.  This is where I have gone blank in understanding, but the assistant put some additional silicone on my upper retainer so that only my front teeth touch.  Only my front teeth touching means my bite does not close at all between now and Thursday.

See (with out lipstick, but the extra color wouldn't add beauty, unfortunately):
Looks like bubble gum between my teeth.  This is so not my style.  I will be cheating.  I have to, I can barely talk with that lump of hard pink between my back teeth and my tongue.  It doesn't show much in the camera phone photo, but it is very apparent in real life and not speaking well is my biggest issue.

A small little plastic knob was also added to my bottom retainer to push a tooth back in place (it slightly moved).  Apparently my retainer has been too loose, even though I honestly wear the bottom piece 24/7.  If it doesn't pop back, then he'll do a permanent fix to the retainer soon.

Orthodontics is NOT MY STYLE!!!

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

As the saying goes, "You gotta do what you gotta do."

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? I am so confused and don't understand why they didn't think all of this would happen when they started your process...now I am scared to take M tomorrow. I was thinking I knew exactly what is going to happen, but maybe I am wrong and this is just the beginning....oh no!!

I am so sorry you have to have so much more work. I know how happy you were to be done FINALLY!!

Wow- we need to chat more in person, so I can see this bubblegum in your teeth.

Elle J said...

I will be more diligent in asking more questions BEFORE the braces are applied to my children's teeth. Having never done this before, I had no idea. I guess that will be the good that comes out of all this.

Tina in CT said...

Could you be having the problems as you're an adult having braces?

Elle J said...

Tina ~ yes, I am sure that has everything to do with my adjustments. My husband had braces as a teen and didn't have any of the "extra" that I am going through ... could be difference in technology, could be difference in doctor, could be just than I am an adult. My kids have yet to get braces, so not sure really what "todays" common teen with braces goes through.