Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Shack

This picture was taken by my husband while we were at the Grand Canyon last fall. This woman was with a man and they were taking turns doing this pose while the other took their photo. My husband, standing back and not making notice of himself, also snapped the shot. I like it.

I am reading The Shack by William P. Young and while I am not finished reading, I find it intriguing. And I can't really say why. Like the Da Vinci Code, I have to keep reminding myself that it is someone's fictional story. While I believe the Bible is the truth, I find myself getting caught up in some one elses' storytellings and interpretations, not holding them as truth, but more as a "stop my brain, let me process this thought ... Huh!" kind of thing.

I find myself open when reading a book or hearing a story or watching a movie that parallels subjects such as; God and truth, ethics and morality, politics and democracy, in other words ... deep stuff ~ and then when it is all over, I have to sit and ponder for awhile because my brain feels a little over whelmed. I find myself having to grasp that one what that I learned, before I can move forward.

Sometimes I change my opinion and sometimes I don't. But I am glad to be free and open like this woman in the picture.

5 comments:

Francie said...

I really like the colors and the angle of that picture! Nicely done!

Mary Kathryn said...

That picture is gorgeous. And I am reading The Shack now, as well. I like it; it is interesting. I'm about halfway through and can't wait to see how it ends.

Rachael said...

You'll have to let us know what you think once you've finished the book. Seems like everyone is reading it. I haven't felt like tackling it.

Jodi said...

I'm glad to hear your take on the book, realizing that it is fiction. I have heard some Christians say to not read the book, but I read it, and I too remembered that it was fiction as a I read it. On the other hand, I really feel that we humans often try to keep God in this box. I think The Shack makes you start thinking about the possibilities about God and who He is - much more than we could ever imagine or think. I also think the book might help people have a better idea about how you really can have a personal relationship with God. My mom actually prays and imagines herself on the dock with Jesus looking up at the stars (just like in the book). She feels closer to Him just be imagining the two of them together.....If the book could achieve this one thing, I think it's a worthwhile book!

Lydee said...

i thought it sounded too depressing to start. it's certainly created a stir.