Happy Valentine's Day!!!
My weekend started off right yesterday. I took an across-state-day-trip to see my soon to be 97 year old Grandma with my parents. We left before school for the four hour adventure, but returned home in time for me to tuck my kiddos into bed.
My Grandma's overall health is remarkable for a woman just three years shy of 100, but her mind is showing her true age. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to hear her say a few things that let me know that Grandma remains Grandma.
She was the one who liked to tease. Saying little jokes, a hint of sarcasm, a cute tease was her normal operation when I was growing up visiting her. Yesterday was no exception. Little sparks of energy of her quick whit shown through her confusions ... just enough to remind me that Grandma was still Grandma.
It was only a short four months ago when my Aunt was finally able to tear my Grandma's high heels away from her closet. My Grandma always wore high heels. Even when her doctor, her nursing staff, her family, her friends advised her otherwise at age 96. Along with the high heels, I have never seen my Grandma in anything but a skirt. She always wore lots of jewelry. And her nails were never with out color. Her hair freshly combed and curled, her lipstick and makeup were always applied.
This is what I found yesterday; my Grandma fresh from her morning nap with her make up and lipstick applied, her nails were of fresh pink polish, she wore a skirt, and was accessorized with jewelry. Her shoes were now a stylish loafer that looked comfortable and safe; a more appropriate match. My Grandma was still Grandma.
While she didn't remember the specifics about me; like whether I was married or had children, she remembered my name and how I fit into her family. That was important for me to hear and I was touched that I had not been forgotten. And ... to see her love pour out over this simple, little tease and joke, says it all about Grandma ... wanting to make sure that all her children are safe and well cared for:
Grandma: Are you married?
Me: Yes, I am married. His name is **
Grandma: Is he good to you?
Me: Yes, he is very good me to, Grandma!
Grandma (with a shake of her finger): If he is not good to you, tell him he'll have to see me!
Feeling my Grandma's love, feeling happy on this Valentine's Day!
1 comment:
That is so cute! Reminds me of my grandma, not as old though, but when I talk to her, she always has to make sure my boyfriend is good to me, too! And tells me to tell him that if he's not, then he'll have to answer to her! (And she lives in OK!) She sure has a lot of spunk and sounds like your grandma is pretty spunky herself!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Post a Comment