Now I know why my piano teacher did themed recitals. It is time consuming and difficult to find songs that please each student and fall into the category of Recital Quality.
One recital I participated in growing up stands out the most in my mind; we performed The Sound of Music. My teacher's piano was in her basement which over looked her huge, secluded front yard. I can not describe all the details of the recital because it was "so long ago" but I do remember we had to dress the part in flowing skirts and bonnets. Acting was mostly performed by her three daughters while the narrator set the scene before each pianist' told their part of the story with their song.
I remember I was in those teen years when rolling of the eyes behind the scenes is common and I did not truly appreciate the novelty of this recital idea and what the parents must have enjoyed. However, I do remember that my song Sunrise Sunset was the most difficult version my teacher could find; I remember I had to practice hard to pull it off on that hot summer evening.
So, now decades later, I am planning my annual Spring Recital for my piano students. Choosing songs that will challenge them enough to last the next few months during lessons, while not over challenging them to frustration is a tricky deal. At the same time, I also have to keep in mind the mix of genre during the recital; some classical, some jazz, some popular, some favorites. Which of course is also matched by the need to make sure that the student actually enjoys their piece ~ nothing worse than playing something you just do not like. And finally, making sure that no two students play the same song (already had to disappoint one student today on that one).
As I sat in lessons today, going through my list of ideas with each student, I got some no head shakes ... sigh .... back to my library of music books to pour over in order to find just the right songs for each (I feel like I am running out of ideas) ...
The Sound of Music theme is beginning to appeal to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment