I may not be an athlete in the true sense of the word; eat only health foods, take tons of vitamins, drink plenty of water, work out until you drop tired and barely able to move, and then get up and start all over again. No, I am just the average gal in the gym on a routine basis, getting my heart pumping and my muscles just barely burning.But when it comes to Athletic Club Etiquette, I think I know a thing or two about what not to do. As I was sitting on the bench this morning, pumping a lil'iron, it kinda came to me. All the little things that are just unspoken rules at the gym that I wish others would clue in on to make the hour more pleasant.
Here is my short list:
*If you happen to be next to me on the treadmill, and you choose not to turn on your personal television which is connected to your machine, then please do not peer over to my machine and get cozy at watching my show. Just turn on your own, please.
*If you see me by your locker ... should I say ... if you see that you need to move your door and step a few inches away from my locker so that I may put my coat and keys away ... then please do not take that moment to use your Axe Body Spray as if it were going out of style as I am standing right! beside! you! You know, mist does travel and that smell is not my style.
*Learn how to use the weights or just go. Throwing your back in a hard 45 degree angle to lift the bar is not the correct method. I am not a Personal Trainer, but I can just tell that you should just learn how to use that equipment.
*Don't sit at a machine and gab with the person to your left, others would like to keep moving and you are obliviously holding up their cardo pulse.
*Wiping off your machine upon completion is just polite.
*We are in stressful times in our national economy ... so whether or not you are at the gym to de-stress or relax, others are ... so just don't say, "Hey, is your company giving out lay off notices yet?" It is a real mood killer.
Feel free to join my sound off about Athletic Club Etiquette via comments.
Happy Exercising!
3 comments:
I hate it when people try to talk to me when I'm working out (unless I am specifically there working out with a friend, then it's okay.) But, when random people that I barely know want to strike up a conversation and I have to slow down, take out my headphones and ask, "what?", clearly that is messing up my zone! Just nod hello or smile and call it good.
It also really annoys me when all the treadmills are full, but someone is on one going 2.0 mph. I'm thinking: go use the little track if you're just going to stroll! Runners, or at least people planning to break a sweat should get deference.
Sheesh. Didn't realize I was such a gym snob! lol.
Yes, I so agree with your #2 comment!! :)
here here!
Post a Comment