Monday, February 2, 2009

My new favorite dish

I got a great Vegetarian cookbook as a gift from my parents. I like it because the recipes are easy and make sense. While I enjoy looking at cookbooks that lean toward the fancy side, I am a practical person and go for easy if I am the one cooking. The recipe below is easy.

Also, it passed with a thumbs up from both of my children ~ which is saying a lot since my daughter is just now, at age 10, breaking out of her comfort zone of noodles, hamburgers, and oatmeal. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but not by much.

For left-overs, you can omit the tortillas and eat the rice mixture with a touch of sour cream or guacamole mixed in, shredded cheese, and heat to warm. Yum too.

ENJOY!!!

Large tortillas
1/3 cup finely chopped, seeded tomatoes
3 T minced onion
2 T minced bell pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked black beans (cooked from dry; or canned, drained)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup guacamole

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in oven; heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the tortillas are warm and pliable.
2. While the tortillas are heating, combine the tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper in a small bowl, set aside.
3. Stir together cooked brown rice, beans, and salsa. Cook over low heat until heated through; about 4 minutes.
4. Remove the tortillas from the oven. Place a generous amount of the bean mixture in the center of the tortilla. Top with shredded cheese, guacamole, (sour cream is good too) and the tomato mixture.
5. Fold the tortilla and enjoy!

2 comments:

Francie said...

Oh, this is so perfect! That sounds so yummy! (you know me and all my sisters are vegetarian, right?) I'll have to try this very, very soon!

Lydee said...

sounds yummy!