Friday, February 13, 2009

Old Fashioned Pink Lemonade

We have made this recipe for Valentine's Day and gifted it to the kids' teachers in a new plastic thermos which they can reuse. It is a welcomed treat because it is so refreshing while they work so hard in the classroom. And our job making it is completely easy, especially now with my new KitchenAid juicer!

Old-Fashioned Pink Lemonade (makes 2 servings)
2 large lemons
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup sugar
2 large strawberries
ice cubes, optional

*Cut the lemons in half across the middle. Using a citrus juicer, squeeze the juice from each half. You should have about 1/2 cup of juice.
*Pour the lemon juice into a pitcher. Add the water and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
*Cut off the green stems of the strawberries. Cut the strawberries in half.
*Set a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl. Put the strawberry halves in the sieve and mash with the back of a small spoon, pushing the berries through the sieve. Pour the strained strawberries into the lemonade.
*Stir the lemonade until well blended and pink.
*Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
*Serve with or with out ice.

recipe from the Williams-Sonoma The Kid's Cookbook

4 comments:

Francie said...

I just may make that soon! I bought 6 containers of strawberries for fresh strawberry pie for Valentines, so I'll have to save a few for this! Thanks!

Rachael said...

I LOVE this idea! I am doing this next year!

MoscowMom said...

Ooooo! I'll make this tonight when my girls have a friend sleep over for Valentine's Day. Looks yummy! Now... hmmm.. I'm wondering how much those strawberries will cost in Moscow at this time of the year... A few months ago, $10 -- but thanks to the collapsing economy -- and ruble -- they should run me about $6.50!

Lori said...

Great idea. Sounds so good. I love fresh lemonade, the kind you get at fairs where they make it with fresh lemons, sugar and water and charge you $5 for a small glass of it.