Wednesday, August 20, 2008

down sizing, part two

*Early Sunrise photo at Cannon Beach, Oregon

I must just write how thankful I am that we switched our vacation plans away from this week! It is pouring rain and we are stuck inside. I can just imagine how we would have felt if we were trying to enjoy the beach right now. I do not think we could muster up the cheer like we did when we went to Whistler. At least there you have other things to occupy your time. But a summer beach vacation, to me, needs to be sunny and warm. I'm thankful that's exactly what we received.

Today we are taking advantage of our rain, however, and zooming in on the fact that we only have a dozen more days until the first day of school. Our agenda that was successfully completed today has been the deep cleaning of our playroom, and the kids' bedrooms, in hopes of it staying fresh since the kids will be busy with school and activities.

It feels like we just cleaned the playroom; but this time around we actually tubed toys into storage. I can't believe that we are at this cross roads in our family where toys can be put away with glad acceptance. I am finding that most of the toys are my sons. The Fisher Price Dinosaurs, Toy Story Action Figures, Rescue Heroes, Wooden Blocks, and Hot Wheels Race Tracks. Full sets of each, all boxed and labeled for the far future (insert crossed fingers and thoughts of grandchildren). It feels right.

The down side is that now I have many bagged items for donation, and our local donation store burnt while we were vacationing! I will have to store them in the garage (which will not bring a smile to my hubby's face) until the store is remodeled and opened. One room cleaned, to junk up another room. Seems counterproductive. But I like to help our local community, so I may have to find a way to sweet talk it into staying until the reopening.

Now ... I'm in search of that sun, that lounge chair, and some lemonade!!

2 comments:

Mary Kathryn said...

All your beach pics were heavenly. And you (and the children) sound sooo organized. Good for you for all your generosity.

Natalie said...

My husband and I's 1st anniversary long weekend vacation got rained out...and we were on a harley. We made the best of it and prayed we didn't crash. I'll never be that stupid again. It feels SO good to clean out the closets, basement, garage, etc. I need to do all of the above.