Earlier this summer my son had a special date with my mom when they went to the zoo together. Today it was my daughter's turn to have alone time and it was her choice on what she would like to do. She chose to stay with Splash all day long! She had a fantastic time "training" the little pup, complete with shopping outings to Home Depot, Petco, and of course the patio of Starbucks. When they arrived back to our place, she toured the neighborhood knocking on doors for friends to meet Splash. It was very cute and my mom said she was a natural.
While my girl played with Splash, my son and I ventured into fish world. He has been asking for his very own fish for a very long time. During a secret meeting of the minds, my husband surprised me when he said, All kids need to have at least one pet fish in their lifetime. Really? I had two pet fish for a science project in elementary school and I disliked the experience every day of their existence on my bedroom shelf. My mom's memory is different; she thought I really enjoyed them and I cried when they died. But my memory is just old tank, old water, old smell, fish!
Taking a deep breath and visualizing all the wonders that a pet fish can have for a boy, I have been preparing for this adventure and it has arrived. While we did not pick up the fish today, since he would like his sister and father involved in watching him select his fish, we did purchase the tank and supplies. We have decided on a Betta. I hear they are the easiest starter fish and very hardy. I hope my research and talk at Petco proves to be true. The tank is set, ready for occupation tomorrow.
Now I am going to relax with my fluffy, cuddly, kissable favorite pet, Cora, and cross my fingers the fish experience will be positive for my son longer than 48 hours.
1 comment:
We got a fish tank for Kristen for Christmas. We had a few deaths and resultant tears, but have 5 hardy little persistent fish souls that appear to be in it for the long haul. Cleaning the tank is a disgusting job that nobody likes though.
Post a Comment