Taking advantage of the lack of spring outside our window as snow fell today, the kids and I have been deep cleaning the playroom. Earlier in the season the children had arranged some toys into piles for a garage sale. The room was a disaster pit, mixed with these piles were just gobs and gobs of stuff they had played with, things they had taken down but never returned. Luckily, the room is at the top of our stairs, around a corner, not viewed by any guests. It is very easy to close the door and never know what lurks behind.
But my conscious had had enough and I noticed that they had stopped playing in there; a sure sign it was too messy even for them. We tackled it together and they hung with me for the long haul. After seeing their cute sticky note prices on their toys ranging from $2 to $15, I began to wonder if they really understood the concept of a garage sale. Wanting to avoid second guesses as they tried to negotiate the $10 puzzle to .25 cents, I thought of a new bargain to present. Okay, okay, and the thought of sitting on my driveway with them in this less then adequate spring really made me think fast.
"How about we make a nice donation pile and in return we can hit Barnes and Noble?" They looked at each other in thought and then quickly took me up on the idea. So the garage sale toys grew even bigger to a nice size donation as we went through every inch of their playroom.
This evening we are headed for the donation station and then to the book store. They are so excited to have down sized in return for brain candy. I'm very proud of their choice!
No comments:
Post a Comment