Tuesday, August 9, 2011

R-E-L-A-X in sunshine

I think a highlight for our family camping trip was the time spent lake shore for an entire afternoon. We brought our lawn chairs, our lunch, our books, our fishing poles, our net, and our raft for a day doing n-o-t-h-i-n-g together. It was perfect.
We have been lacking sunshine our entire summer. Truly the worst weather on record for the months of June, July, and this much of August (in my book of living here for the last 33 years anyway). Very opposite from the rest of the country, I know. So we welcomed the heat, the toes dipped in the water. We soaked it in, and it was lovely.

We had the raft tied to a log, on a 30 foot rope, so we could hop in and out for the relaxing comfort of the wave action as boats and jet skiers zoomed by. The kids took turns practicing their rowing skills. We enjoyed just floating.

My son grabbed his net and spent hours walking ankle to waist deep catching tiny Minnows. He would transfer them to a clear cup and watch them swim. Then he would release them back into the lake. He was in adventure land.
My girl enjoyed her favorite pass-time of reading; You Were Made to Make a Difference by Max Lucado and Jenna Lucado Bishop. I had read the book earlier in the month, and now it was her turn. She soaked it in quickly. A thumbs up from both of us with a Highly Recommend attached.
My hubby was fiddling with his fishing pole, enjoying the bites of the fish that got away, while I went solo in the raft soaking up the quietness of our environment. Each of us enjoying our relax moment, but all of us together.
My parents joined us after they went on their own raft for a cruise about the lake. They too found the shore just what they wanted to ease into an evening back at camp. Sun and shade hoping, and reading the Kindle on the raft were their choices of relaxing.
Ahhh, to return to that moment in time right now. I have a sweater on, with my shorts, because the air is nippy like fall and my body has not accepted this lack of summer. You'd think by the 9th of August I would have given up trying to long for something different. But I can't get myself to pull together a complete fall wardrobe just yet.
We will be chasing the sun again in two more weeks. By our return our summer will truly be closing down to one week before school begins. I am holding onto moments like those spent in 80+ temps lake shore, longing to return to heat when we venture off again, praying it will be a "big enough" fix before fall, then winter, settles in.

Ohh to R-E-L-A-X in sunshine.

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

My idea of a perfect summer afternoon - especially stretched out on the raft reading or sitting in the water reading.

What a beautiful area.