For those reading my posts regularly, or who know my son personally, you will appreciate this post.
My brother and his family gave my son a Black and Decker manly Toaster Oven for Christmas. His Auntie rocked the gift list and status when my son saw the HUGE box, unwrapped it, and happily and wearily questioned, "Am I dreaming?!" Elements that light up, buzzers that sounds, knobs to turn, Black and Decker - a real boy's dream toaster!
My son the chef is all about the kitchen, however, gifting him kitchenware is more difficult because we all share the kitchen, and we have much stuff to begin with. As he started receiving kitchen items more frequently in the last few years, I emptied out a drawer for just HIS things. It works well. He uses His things when He bakes and cooks, and we do not (he uses my things too, but he will always grab his version first).
It wasn't long after getting the Toaster Oven on the kitchen counter late Saturday night that my son created a Toaster Oven Rule.
Here's the deal: He will bake you anything you wish, for Free. However, if you want to use his oven, you have to check the chart to the time of day of your usage, and insert the appropriate coins in the can. Our regular old toaster is sitting beside the cool new toaster oven. Therefore, there is always the choice for the rest of us to make our own for free at any time of day using our regular, old toaster.
(I added the sticky note to cover up my son's name).
Now, some may feel this isn't using a very good giving spirit by way of my son ... but the gist is is that he really wants to cook!! And he wants to make this oven feel special because it was a gift just for him. We gave him the thumbs up and support his eagerness and special feelings towards this Toaster.
Yes, I have paid. I wanted yummy toast from his toaster at 7am yesterday and he was in the shower. I paid up my 5 cents. Notice how my husband is free between the hours of 6am and 9am? Because my husband enjoys toast every morning, and my son did not want to commit to making toast every morning for his dad. So he gifted his dad a free zone. Certainly my son is being reasonable in his generosity of his toaster usage.
Oh yes, this toaster is blog-worthy!

1 comment:
He's one sharp boy. The way he's going with his things, I think you are going to have to move more of your kitchen things out of the way.
Post a Comment