I think I had better start blogging about the holidays of 2010 before we ring in 2011!
Christmas was beautiful. I am finding as the children get older that the excitement of opening presents does not go away, but their pure joy of traditions and spending time with family has increased. This was the year when the children sat back and enjoyed togetherness more than other years. It was fantastic.
One of the traditions that my family enjoys playing on Christmas Eve with my parents is the game Last Chance. Yes, it is a gambling game in that dice are involved, and betting with faux chips, but other than that, it is just a whole lot of fun and a lot of luck. My son was literally on a roll and enjoyed his pile of chips stacking up. My daughter had her fair share too. I had to capture it all in photographs, as the memory will spark the yells and cheers. But when I came upon my big roll and win, nobody took my photo, so I had to do it myself!! HA HA HA!
Our Christmas Eve tradition of a Scandinavian Smorgasbord continued and it was delicious. My parents are fabulous chefs and this is by far my absolute favorite meal of the year. My husband and daughter spend some Christmas Eve afternoon time making Lefse, while my son has the important job of making the hord'vor tray, and filling in where he is needed. I enjoy helping and documenting with pictures. The day and evening was spent surrounded by peace and being together.
Christmas day brought a lovely celebration with my husband's family. Both of my sister in laws (my husband's sister, and my brother's wife) are always fabulous hostesses, and while they have different styles, they always do a great job of making each of their homes welcoming and beautiful. My husband's family enjoyed togetherness while the cousins busied themselves upstairs for most of the evening. It was a wonderful evening sharing stories past and present.
Both celebrations went past midnight, so by Sunday we took time to enjoy our family of four at our house. Enjoying quiet, enjoying movies, enjoying rest.
The best part of Christmas for me this year was that we just took everything slowly. We purchased gifts thoughtfully, yet early. We baked what we wanted when we wanted. We celebrated the season with our traditions, and not let the calendar rule our days by filling them up with every obligation. The kids participated in the decorating, the festivies, the warmth. They are growing older and I am embracing more and more the time we are spending together.
Truly Christmas of 2010 was a beautiful season.
2 comments:
Love you self portrait...and your little cutie's Christmas curls.
I can never convince my girls to dress up for the holiday (except for church.) They just want to get to the celebrating (i.e. presents! lol). I tried curling Katya's hair, but could not find hairspray and it went limp by lunch time. She looked a little raga-muffinish. =) Oh well...
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Your daughter seems to be loving the curls and looks so cute. I should tell my daughter to buy those curlers to do her girls' hair for special occasions. Natalia's hair would probably hold a curl well as it has some curl when she was a toddler.
The dining tables in your pictures are lovely.
Post a Comment