Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sew

As I sat at the sewing machine, or at the dinning room table pinning, or trimming with the scissors, or stooped over the iPad watching Yo*tube Tutorials, I kept thinking about my buddies Jennifer, Natalie, Rachael, and Francie who know how to sew, enjoy sewing, and actually accomplish amazing finished works.

I was just trying to understand a 45 degree angle around a corner with double fold bias tape (ooh, impressed I even know those words).

It started no more than two years ago when I read my friend Natalie's blog. I know it was no more than two years ago because her sweet lil'man is only two right now. I had spied a very cute blanket she had made for her son for their camping adventures. I sent her a message asking for the fabric stats - and she offered to ship some to me.
Since then it has sat in my hide-away in my closet. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it, but I knew I wanted to do something with it. And as soon as we purchased our RV last month, I knew the perfect idea.

A blanket for those times when someone in our family wants to take a mid-day snooze, or snuggle to watch a movie, read a book, or play a board game, or on those drives when the A/C is blazing and not everyone is comfy and one needs to cover up.

I went to the fabric store twice to get my remaining supplies this week, and while there found another fun print to purchase that signified our quest for cross country road trekking. I figured one new blanket would not make it around a family of four very quickly, so a pair of blankets was a more usable number.
I scheduled time to go to my parent's house today because my mom has a sewing machine and knows more than I do about sewing. But after a good 90 minutes of figuring out this and that about her machine, and how we were going to tackle those corners with bias tape, and laughing and kidding each other, we finally were able to start.
Once we got the logistics down, it did go rather quickly, considering our newbie status.  In the end I am still in love with the blankets (not always the case after I have a DIY project).  Returning home, my family was impressed and anxious to get camping to enjoy those blankets!!

Thanks, Mom, for the many laughs, and genuine help in all that you did for me today. It was a fun project and a memory that I will have with you forever. Yay Us - We did it!!

Thanks, Natalie, for the fabric!! You always do such an amazing job on all of your projects - you and your sister's have such a great gift - it takes much skill and patience, and you certainly have both!!

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Really nice! Is one side flannel or fleece?

I used to sew a lot of my clothes and my daughter's, curtains, slipcovers, doll clothes but no more. Can't remember when I used it last. Probably a few years ago when I made my granddaughters matching period gowns with their American Girl Williamsburg era dolls.

Tina in CT said...

I'm betting you'll need to be making 2 more for the rest of the family.

Have you gone out in your new RV today?

Elle J said...

Thanks, Tina!! I actually was thinking the same thing - I probably do need to make 2-more. Maybe next month. =) Our first camping adventure is this upcoming Friday to Sunday. Can't wait!! I have no doubt that you were and still are an excellent seamstress!!! It is on my bucket list to do when the kids are off to college - take a sewing class to learn how to sew.

Elle J said...

Oh, and the solid side is flannel for both with batting in-between. Cozy and warm. =)

Tina in CT said...

Have a lot of fun this coming weekend in your RV.

I taught myself how to sew by just reading the pattern directions and started in 9th grade when I wanted more clothes. My mother would always buy me material when I wanted to sew.

You did a great job. Did you sew in the blanket to keep the batting in place?