Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Happy 14th Birthday!!

Dear Daughter,

The first year of teen-life is over as you turn one more digit. Reflecting back over this year, I will admit it had "it's moments" but I am grateful to note that those moments were always fleeting. I am happy that you are quick to move-on, sometimes even quicker than me. I have taken note. Thank you!

Your energy for things that are dear to your heart is contagious. I am so excited to see where you take your life. I have no doubt that the path that you and God have mapped out will be extraordinary. You have so many talents and gifts that you will simply not go wrong with whatever path you choose.

If you wouldn't laugh so much, we could get things moving along around here! So many times we find ourselves at the table with dishes starring us down while we're just talking and laughing away. You have the best. laugh. ever!! You take after your daddy's side of the family in that regard. Even if I don't think something is as funny as you do - just to see you genuinely belly-laugh will get me started. I love how your grasp your belly, or cover your mouth, and how your eyes literally close when you laugh; and you tilt sideways.

Trading your hair and fashion sense would have been a dream of mine at age 14. You got it, Girl! Enough said.

I am so proud of all the hard work you put into your academic studies - because you are motivated for yourself, not others. This will embrace your path and set you up for success every time. You have to want it, and you do, every single year. When things go rough, or are more challenging, yes - you whine to begin and want to throw in the towel - but you always seem to pull yourself together and fight through. The break down is a natural course that just builds yourself up to fight, and try harder. I enjoy that about you.

Most of all, Daughter, I love every pinpoint about you. The good days, the bad days, all wrapped together makes you a person full of balance, and character, and love, and silly, and happy, with grace and wisdom. I am so, so, so, so thankful that God chose the two of us to be Mother and Daughter.

Happy 14th Birthday ~ may it be a wonderful year ... and may I remember to embrace this last year before you are legally allowed to get behind the wheel of our car.

I LOVE YOU!!!
xoxo,
Mom

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Beautiful.

Kids can drive at 15 in your state? In CT they have to be 16 for a permit and I believe a year after they have their driver's license they can have a passenger (other than family) in the car. My daughter and I both got our licenses at 17.

Elle J said...

Tina - yes, drivers ed/permit begins at age 15, license at age 16, with different rules for passengers and time of day/curfew of driving for each age (which I have not really memorized all of those). I have a niece in the 15 yr old stage, another niece turning 15 in March, my girl and her cousin in one year .... lots of changes. =)