Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Homecoming

I have two nieces who both started High School this year in two school districts. One of the buildings is a three year high school, which caters to my oldest niece who is a 10th grader. The other is a four year high school, which caters to my next oldest niece who started her Freshmen year. Although different grades, they get to experience "firsts" together.

Our family is close. My brother and family have always been close friends with my husband's sister and family. In fact, the four of them (the two siblings and their spouses) were couples and best friends before my husband and I ever met, because my husband and I met at my brother's wedding.

Although we are "in the middle" regarding being related to both sides, all the families know each other, making the kids who are not blood related cousins feel like blood related cousins. It is a great, awesome, one big, happy family as a result.

Friday Night I received a text from my hubby's sister; wishing us a good time on our camping adventure. And then she casually snuck in a rumor that her girl (my oldest niece) was going to be asked to Homecoming at that evening's high school football game. Between hit and miss cell phone service while camping, the first twelve hours of our adventure included messages back and forth about the build up, and after-story excitement.

A picture message woke me up Saturday morning (cell service was back in business) of the happy Homecoming couple. Adorable!!! My girl and I are super excited for the coming weeks to get status updates about her shopping choices, and then of course to see pictures of the actual event, and the story of the evening. My boys think it's cool their niece/cousin was asked - but ... nothing like some good squeel'in between me and my girl about her cousin/my niece.

And then during lunch hour yesterday I jumped onto Facebook to see a post from my next oldest niece. In a different part of our area, she had just been asked to Homecoming while at school - complete with pictures to capture the moment.

I was home alone - so of course, I broke out in a Happy Dance right there in my kitchen. I am waiting to hear the full story behind this asking when all of our families get together at our house for a combined Birthday Party for both of my kiddos this Saturday. The boys will "just love" hearing the scoop of two Homecoming Proposals ... I am sure ... but whatever - us-girls have gotta chat!

It hit me yesterday that not only are my kiddos growing up, but so are my Little Nieces and Nephew whom I've known since their birth. We have all lived close to one another, see each other often; certainly we know them well. And now this huge chapter starts - two at once! - and we get to stand on the sidelines and cheer them on in making good choices, being wise, perhaps messing up here and there, but still loving them and encouraging them along the way.

Homecoming - an exciting time of year, the start of a great high school chapter, and memory-building among our families.

No comments: