Thursday, May 28, 2009

Two recipes

A summer treat that is pure yum!! This works well with green grapes and it is completely simple. Just brush grape clusters with egg whites and sprinkle with lime jello straight from the box. Dry on a wire rack before you enjoy!! Simple, delicious, summer enjoyment.

It goes well with this healthy Chicken Noodle Green Salad. This is my all time favorite salad that my mom used to make frequently when we were growing up. She'd make a batch a head of time, put it in a Tupperware bowl with a yellow lid, and stash it in the ice chest for our boat outings. Or the picnic. Or the family BBQ gathering. Or the ... yes, it has been around and I could eat so much of this!

Most of this meal can be prepared in advance. The noodles and the chicken can be cooked ahead and marinated in the dressing. Use leftover cooked chicken or Tyson's precooked chicken strips (cut), or cook 2 large chicken breasts. Wash, dry and chill greens in advance, then just before serving mix with chicken and noodles. Here are the specifics ...

Cook 6 oz medium egg noodles in about 3 qt boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Thoroughly rinse with cold water and drain well. Stir together 1/2 C salad oil (Saffola Oil type), 1/4 C lemon juice, 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp each dry mustard, crumbled rosemary leaves, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Placed cooked noodles and about 3 C cooked and shredded or cubed chicken in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing over the noodles and the chicken and mix gently together. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.

Just before serving add 1/2 C each: chopped parsley, thinly sliced green onions, spinach and leaf lettuce and gently mix all together.

A-mazing!!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

You inspired me. I made the salad for dinner tonight, and you're right -- it IS amazingly good! (I modified it to make it vegetarian by replacing the chicken with the Morningstar brand soy "chicken" nuggets, baked crispy and then sliced.) And, I wasn't brave enough to try (making or eating) the grapes -- I served our salad with watermelon slices on the side -- but, I am very curious about them!

Thanks for a great recipe to add to my rotation!

Elle J said...

Yea, I am glad that you liked it and your vegetarian way sounds yummy too!!

I know, the egg whites on the grapes sound kinda yucky, but it is a good combo of the sour-tang of the grape to the sweet of the jello.

Lori said...

The salad sounds good, next time Rach makes it I will have to go over for dinner and try it.
As for the grapes, that sounds easy and fast and I bet my son (who rarely likes anything) would even like them.