Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Travel Trinkets

We have fallen into the trap of buying a lot of souvenirs while on vacation. I think Disneyland was our biggest downfall. While we are not "Disney people" like some are, by that I mean they wear the Mickey shirts and all the Princess garb weekly or they have a Disney license plate holder attached to every car they own, or they have a season pass to the park, we did buy more than we truly needed for a memory. I think it was because it was Disney, because it was the kids' first time going, and because it was the turning point of vacationing done easy. No diaper bags, no strollers, kids could stay up late and wake up early, everything seemed to work. So we were in a little bit of euphoria at The Happiest Place on Earth.

However, recently, we've found that one thing that my children like to purchase while vacationing. For my daughter, it is a traditional tourist coffee style mug of the city or attraction we visited. For my son, it is a snow globe. So, while we were in Las Vegas last September celebrating our 15th Anniversary with out the children, we purchased a snow globe for my son.

Packing up the hotel room, I decided to put the snow globe, snug in it's box with packing tape, into my carry on luggage so that the globe would not chance a break in my suitcase. At the airport, we stood in a reasonably long security check line, and my husband was granted clearance just fine. I, however, was pulled to the side. Talk about a time when you just want to do every thing perfectly right so as not to cause attention nor attitude from the security guards on duty.

Scanned through the machine, they noticed my snow globe, which was clearly stated as a prohibited item for a carry on; they pointed to the sign. We had to make a decision about this small, completely sealed, snow globe from the MGM Grand Hotel for my son . I could start all over and go to the nearest airport gift shop and have them mail it to our address, or I could leave it behind.

Looking at my watch, looking at the growing security line, we decided to chance the start over option. My husband left me with the carry on at the security check point while he went to the gift shop. After giving the employee cash for the mailing, a piece of paper was taped to the box with our address, and it was stuck under the counter. As he left, my husband had a sinking feeling that we would probably never see that snow globe again.

Having to tell the children when we got home that their gifts were coming "in seven days" was hard to do. My daughter understood why she had to wait for her gift, while we waited for my son's gift, but I was just disappointed that the pull out of the suitcase, watching the eyes grow big, so happy you're home! moment was completely lost. When the package did arrive seven days later it was not the same reaction.

My husband and I will be vacationing with another couple this week, and we have already assured the children that no snow globes will be brought home. We're leaning towards a shirt and hat to keep it safe; you know the kind, My parents went to (blank) and all I got was this shirt.

Stay tuned; I'll post in a few days!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Ooh, mysterious cliff-hanger...can't wait to hear about your trip! I'm (supposed to be) packing for my own trip right now.