Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sleeping Beauty

The first night of rehearsal at the studio for the production of Sleeping Beauty was a success. Three weeks until the big show and it is full speed ahead.

The studio is busting at the doors with girls, boys, and adults in costume, parents who know how to sew volunteer to fix this and that and put add-ons to costumes, teen girls are taking turns spotting each other while the other runs into the boys locker room to use the staff microwave to fix a quick Lean Cuisine or Soup (I know, a microwave in a bathroom?? I have never been in, so not sure how it is really configured, but the first time I saw a girl enter the boys bathroom and come out with a microwaveable pizza, I quickly got the gist).
The night is split into the three or four acts, so depending on how many dances you are in, you could be there for a minimum of two hours on up to six. Last year my daughter had back to back dances with the ever popular costume change, so we put in our fair share of hours in one night. But since she changed her mind mid summer last year from basketball back to jazz, we were late signing up and she got two different dance nights. Hence, two shows this year .. which means she is still spending the same amount of time at the studio for dress rehearsal, but it is split between two nights. We will be returning tomorrow but in a different costume.

Parents are not allowed into the studio "pink room" where rehearsals are taking place, so the first time I will see the dance (except for the solo performance up in our dance studio) will be when the rehearsal moves to stage. My evenings are spent chatting with the other moms and watching the excitement of the dancers as they pass through the lobby.

My daughter is very secretive about her costume until the big day ... so the candid head shot on the parking lot sidewalk and a sneak photo during the parent meeting in between Act II and Act III was all that my daughter allowed; and that was even pushing it. I promise to flood the blog with plenty of photos in two weeks.

Our favorite dance time of the year has begun!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun time tonight - can't wait for tomorrow night! I'm not sure if I told you but I will be on stage when your daughter is on for jazz:)

Tina in CT said...

How exciting. I look forward to lots of pictures.