Thursday, July 10, 2008

Quiet Time

There is just one sure thing that I am glad that I followed through with in our parenting. One thing that I can guarantee worked well for us. So brilliant, that if someone were to ask me to give advice to a new mother it would be this: establish Quiet Time for your household.

Obviously children nap. But when the napping was over because my children grew up, I didn't want to lose that guaranteed daily moment of peace and quiet. So I went straight to Quiet Time. Upon completion of lunch, I would clean up the kitchen and they would head to their bedrooms. They could look at books, or play quietly, or even nap, but they had to stay in their own rooms with the door shut. The length was always one hour (I think, perhaps longer, but I know not shorter). It provided them a chance to chill out from one another, a chance to be independent, and creative (and yes, sometimes they actually fell asleep). It also provided me a chance to get whatever I wanted to get done without youngsters (aka: free time to myself to just be allowed not to talk).

Daily Quiet Time vanished when the kiddos hit elementary school full time. But I pull it out every now and again in the summer when they are with each other or with friends for many hours. I think kids still need time to themselves to regroup their thoughts and emotions. A place to veg-out.

My daughter has had another full week of camp (this time Drama/Music) and today she got in the car t-i-r-e-d. And her brother was not helping with his endless questions trying to get the camp scoop. So, before a verbal explosion ensued, I suggested that Quiet Time be had at 1:00pm. They both agreed. And it is quiet around here. Ahhh.

When the hour is up, we will all be refreshed and ready to have more fun.

No comments: