Thursday, July 3, 2008

Basketball Camp


My daughter has been toying with the idea of basketball coming up in fourth grade. But, rather than committing first to give up a portion of dance for the year, in order to fit in a season of basketball, my wise girl opted to start with a Basketball Camp to see how she liked the game.

Four days this week, four hours per day, she endured a lot of ball! I am proud of her (she's never played outside of our driveway) and while she was not close to the best, she was not close to the worst either, she was able to hold her own. I enjoyed seeing her run up and down the court getting that awesome cardio exercise that is part of the game. I enjoyed seeing her be more aggressive in her play throughout the week. I also enjoyed seeing her cute non verbal cues of smiles and rolling eyes that is her signature of "This is hard, but I'm having fun!"

Surrounded by boys and girls from third to ninth grade, of all levels, instructed by the High School Coach and Boys Basketball team (some towering a mere 6'7" to her 4'6"), she did not let the ego's intimidate or their skill break her down. I think she proved to herself that she can "hang" just fine with her self confidence.

This week ... hard working boot camp of Basketball. This upcoming school year ... yep, she'll give it a go at basketball.

No comments: