During my younger years some of my summer nights consisted of watching my dad play softball. My brother and I would play in the dirt by the spectators (the moms/wives), and then we'd head home in the dark to get cleaned up for bed, pausing to drink warm milk and cinnamon/sugared toast. I love those memories.
I dated a boy who became my husband who was a baller growing up. By the time I had met him, however, he too had exchanged baseball for softball and I found myself back at the ballfield during the summer nights. Eventually, my dad and my boyfriend who became my husband landed on the same team. I love those memories.
My son played a few years of baseball when he was little. It was adorable to watch him all suited up in his gear, tshirt, and little baseball pants to run the bases and throw the ball. The buckets that held all the gear turned upside down for the tykes to sit upon as they waited their turn to bat was simply too cute. The chubby cheeks of his kindergarten face, his toothless grin, his excitement over the ending game team snack will forever be etched in my heart. I love those memories.
Now, my girl is dating a boy that plays baseball. While he plays tournaments just about every-other-weekend, we will catch the ones when our schedule allows. So far, it's been a good mix of seeing the team play and enjoying time getting to know the teammates and their families. Another perk is one of my amazing piano students is on this same team, so for me it is a double bonus to see both boys play (and talk to my piano student's mom - my friend).
This weekend we were able to catch a lot of the team's games. They are a great group of boys that really know the word Teamwork and support one another. Hearing the battle cries from the dugout is fun, seeing how they pick each other up, feeling their excitement when they come from behind to shorten the gap in the score, or to hit it off from the start with a wide lead.
I am enjoying these memories too - because it brings me back to my younger years, and my early 20's, and my early mommy-hood years, and just current day enjoying this chapter in our lives of our children with friends that we support and cheer.
5 comments:
You've come full circle.
My father, myself, my ex and my daughter - none of us were on baseball/softball teams. We did put in a lot of time at the ice rink though with her figure skating.
Good to hear you're enjoy summer ball.
My grandmother used to make me cinnamon sugar toast in the oven. Childhood memories.
It's me, Tina, and not my daughter that left the comments. She was logged into my laptop.
Smiles at Tina! =) Hope you are having a wonderful time with your sweet daughter while your granddaughters are enjoying camp! HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!!!
Sounds so nice! I've always liked baseball, too. Hope you are enjoying the summer! :)
Post a Comment