I've been brace face free for eighteen months. The days of being self-conscious as I worked on a new smile that didn't reveal too much metal and wire, the rubber bands that clearly were a form of torture, and a lack of motivation to eat are o-v-e-r!!
Today was my bi-yearly check up. The woman two chairs down from where I sat was in the process of getting her braces removed. Ah, the feeling of slick teeth and a beautiful, corrected smile after months or years of metal. I bet her day was perfect.
As I sat and waited for the doc to come to my chair, I went through the timeline of events. From all the stress and anxiety of that first appointment, to all the times when I was so frustrated that rubber bands had been placed in all different, highly visible places, the days I drove home close to tears thinking, "Really?? Really!! He expects me to wear these bands positioned right in the front of my mouth 24/7? Who is this guy?! Does he not see the ugliness to his master plan?!"
I will admit that I had a like-dislike relationship with my Orthodontist. While I knew, hands-down, that he was fantastic in his field with credentials, awards, and scholar titles going out the door, I found him to be a little aloof to the emotional well being of his patients. He was the doctor, and there was no debating any demand he placed upon your mouth. His accent was succinct, sharp, with an air of authority. Yes, he was intimidating.
But there was a soft-side too. His smile was warm and friendly. He gave genuine compliments that he was pleased with my agree-ability (thankfully, he can not read minds, as I was not wanting to agree on the inside!) because in the end - he fixed my problem perfectly.
Today he sat back in his chair, gave his sunshine grin, and said, "You know. I give you all the credit. You followed everything I asked of you to perfection. And it worked. You proved that I could fix your complicated situation." Aaaaaa - music to my ears. It was all worth it.
Upon leaving, he caught me at the front desk making my next appointment. He wanted me to sign authorization that he could use my file in his teaching seminars and classes. He could prove that the system he used had worked. I am not positive, but I think the retainer that he is having me use was developed by him. There is a Retainer Patton Certificate hanging in his office - I am sure he tries to use this style of retainer exclusively with his patients.
Not a bad way to check in with your Orthodontist - that you are now a subject and case study for his seminars and classes in a positive light. He got a thumbs up from me today (wink).
2 comments:
I'm sure you'll agree that it was worth it. I'm sure you wished you'd had them in middle school though. My ex got them when our daughter got her's too. We had some soft dinners.
Tina - absolutely, I wish I had them as a teen. I do not recommend as an adult, I think it is a lot harder to move teeth that are truly "cemented" into place. But yes, looking back, it was worth it to do it. =)
Post a Comment