The kids found a new place in our yard this summer. The tiny little side yard before the land turns over to our neighbor. It is hidden from the street, and our neighbor's driveway. It is very ideal for a hide-out.
The kids have raked, leveled and added dirt (I don't really want to know where they got this extra dirt) to make it a flat surface. They have gotten dirty in the hot sun working so hard as a team. They have added their own garden from left over seeds we had in our garage. They have combined their selection of chairs and buckets and stuff to create the interior. Adding Tinker Toys and then PVC pipes at the entrance, they drape blankets and fabric over the frame to create a closed in space.
I enjoy it. I hear their laughter coming from my open windows, and when I pass by the living room window and see a red, plaid blanket like a neon sign, I smile. They are now so obvious from the street, yet they think they are hidden. A little quirky to our otherwise "in its place" neighborhood.
It is what summer is all about. Creativity, imagination, friendships.
And it is coming to a close with this Labor Day Weekend. In less than 48 hours my children and their neighborhood gang will be headed back to the classroom. I wish summer could be longer. The kids (and parents) enjoy it so much.
5 comments:
I used to live at the CT shore summers and my daughter and her BFF used to make forts all the time up against the rock sea wall and be in there for hours reading on the beach. They had so much fun.
Your kids' special place looks so cute and they sure had fun with their cousins.
Tina - they have had such a fun summer with this club house/hideout/fort! These are not their cousins, however, just super friends that happen to live across the street. =)
What are the little circle areas that they made with the rocks? It's hard to tell what they are from the blog.
Making forts is such fun as a child.
Tina - that is where they "cook" their food and use as their "salad bowls". =)
Love it. It's so great when kids have imaginative play and are outdoors in the fresh air.
Post a Comment