Yesterday I went on a blind date. I know I'm married, but I had a date with a person I had never met. My husband knew all about it beforehand, so it was all good. I had arranged to meet this person at a coffee shop. Having only seen pictures of her occasionally, I was not confident that I could pick her out amongst the patrons sitting comfortably sipping coffee.
So, I told her that I would were this:
And she replied that she would wear this:
As soon as she turned around from the counter we spotted our shirts and gave a hug - and then the chatter, laughter, and fun began ....
But backing up a tad - while I was ordering and paying for my Grande Chocolate Banana Vivano the cashier asked me about Sole Hope. I shared. Then she asked, have you ever heard of Tom's Shoes? No? Well, get this ... you buy a pair of Tom's Shoes and they will donate a pair of shoes to a child in need. She told me that she was packing up for a mission trip and will be packing up her TOMS Shoes to go with her. She also told me to look 'em up on the web. I did.
The One for One Movement of Tom's Shoes states this:
In 2006, American traveler Blake Mycoskie befriended children in Argentina and found they had no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, he created TOMS Shoes, a company that would match every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. One for One. Blake returned to Argentina with a group of family, friends, and staff later that year with 10,000 pairs of shoes made possible by TOMS customers.
After reading more about Toms Shoes it clicked that I am kinda like Tom Shoes. Remember I posted that for every shoe I purchase for my family, that I will purchase a pair of Sole Hope Shoes? I am going to go shop at Toms and get two for one. I will get an awesome looking pair of shoes ... Toms Shoes will donate a pair of shoes to a needy child ... and Sole Hope will get another check for their shoes. Thanks Coffee Shop Girl!!
It's more than just meeting a friend, wearing some advertisement, buying some shoes, donating to a great cause ... it is about bringing a smile to your face, showing love to others, and going about your journey with happiness that you "got it right" that day. Kinda like Tom.

3 comments:
Someone was just telling me about Tom's the other day - friends and I were talking about shoes while at the race expo last weekend and somehow that came up. Funny thing? I hadn't heard of it either. But, coincidentally, I thought it was very cool...AND, it reminded me of YOU. Really!!
Rachael - Sweeeet!! =) Good job on your race - can't wait for the story and the photos.
...Heeeeeeeeey that's my shirt! :) ha ha! :) SO cool to make a REAL LIFE Friendship and meet up with ya the other day! You are as sweet in person as you are in the BLOG world! :)
I ♥ LOVE ♥ wearing T-Shirts that other people will question (providing an opportunity to advocate for the orphans, give to the needy...), comment on or share things with you - TOMS is SO cool - it's neat that the Starbucks chicka shared that with you!
Have a SUPER weekend!
♥Darcee
Post a Comment