Sunday, August 29, 2010

Promiseland

I returned home from our extended vacation to a voice mail from a leader in our church. Calling him back I learned that they were in need of a Second Grade Teacher for our Promiseland children's program for the upcoming school year. Interested?

I am one to find any excuse in my head for saying no when it involves a long commitment such as this one. Every single Sunday of the school year is a big commitment. Chopping off my morning and giving it to the church is a big commitment. We attend church, we are members of the church, but we have been sailing by with flexibility. The flexibility would end this year. Was I ready? Was my family ready?

Next thought ... second grade. I loved my children's second grade year. They knew how to read and do math, they could follow directions, they were responsible, and they could get many big pictures concepts fairly easily. But how many would be under my wing and for how long?  I knew I would be given a curriculum to follow each week, but would I have the energy and know-how to teach and entertain these young peeps during a church service?

Next thought ... am I qualified?  I am not nervous around kids; that's a good start.  I have been a VBS leader for every summer since my daughter was in preschool; another plus. But did I know the Bible and all the stories and all the ins and outs like a "real" Sunday Teacher would know? Not hardly.

So, doing the one thing I know is right when I am put into a corner in making a decision, I prayed.  And in the end of many days I called back the leader and said Yep, I'd commit to Second Grade Promiseland.

Afterall, God does not put you in situations He knows you can not handle because through Him all things are possible. My humanly fears will be turned toward God as I ask for His wisdom and guidance as I search for the words and actions to lead my group of Second Graders this year.

I am actually very excited! Imagine that. =)

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. 

4 comments:

Shannon said...

You will be such a wonderful teacher and those kiddos will be so blessed by your love and teaching!

Elle J said...

Ahhh, thanks, Shannon!!

knitknerd said...

You will be great - thank you for stepping into that role!

I'm just sad none of mine are going into 2nd grade!

Elle J said...

Knitknerd ~ Me too! I helped on Sunday and your girl is so stinkin'cute!! Would Love her for a year!