Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Grizzly Country
I will admit ~ I tend to be a wimp when it comes to putting myself or my children in the line of danger, regardless of the level of known risk. I tend to not want to do something for the fear of the known, yet unknown, because you can't predict in life with 100% certainty that the danger will happen to you. My faith is strong, but I tend to be weak when it comes to common sense rationalizing. If there is a known risk, I tend to not follow through with out putting up some sort of fight to convince others that I am right in not proceeding with the risk. A challenge I am working on changing.
Example: Grizzly Country is Yellowstone Country and that is exactly where we chose to vacation this summer. My husband dreamed of walking through marked trails and enjoying nature. He purchased a camel back for water, a bear bell and bear pepper spray for safety, kids got new quality hiking-like shoes, and admittedly those around would say we were set.
We went on one hike and we cut it short due to my panic, followed by my daughter's panic. My son and husband were just fine.
But here is the real deal that my husband would say was correct. We went at the wrong time of day; late afternoon into early evening when the temps were cooling off and the sun was heading to sunset. That is prime time for animals to come out from their mid-day slumber. Also, we were hiking in a known bear area.
Okay, the trail we had picked did not state bear activity, but we found that our trail was right next to a trail that did state known bear sightings. Between me and you ... a bear will not stay on the trail marked bear activity, and off the one not marked as such.
Yes, I had the bear bell and I made sure it rang on my backpack the. whole. way. My husband said nothing but gave me a look as if, "Really? You must keep that going the whole time?" Yes ... yes, I do.
And what do you know but we found a bear print on the beach at the end of the trail. I would not make this up and my husband came over to check out my findings. He confirmed that in fact it was a bear print. We made a quick family photo on the Lake Yellowstone Beachway and headed back to the car. We agreed that any future trail hikes would be with a Ranger (which you can schedule). However, we didn't find the time to do that, so my sweet husband was left with out a significant hike this time in Yellowstone.
We will be back and prepared for a good hike with a Ranger next time. I promise, my sweet hubby!
The next morning, during our car trek through the National Park, we were witnesses to a Grizzly walk. Yes, my heart was pounding, but the kids and I followed my husband out of the car. We were surrounded with other viewers and a Park Ranger. The Grizz was walking through a meadow, crossed the road where we were all standing just 30 yards away, and continued through the meadow on the other side.
He/she was big, graceful, slow, massive, amazing. I was not too scared and was very thankful that we did get to witness a Grizzly first hand in the wild, but in a safe environment (in my book it was safe, compared to walking alone and meeting this fellow on a trail!).
The next photo is our survival photo with the Grizzly in the distance diagonal from my shoulder. You may have to click on the photo to make it bigger, but the bear is really there.
On our way out of Yellowstone we ventured down to the Grand Tetons National Park. We were in search of Moose and more bears. The Moose did not show (bummed out as they are my absolute favorite wild U.S. animal), but we came around a highway corner and came upon another Grizzly crossing the road. It was just the beast and us at first; and then more cars came. We stayed in the car for this one as it stopped by the road and was checking us out before moving into the bushes and trees, and there was no Park Ranger. Again, so beautiful and so very close. Gorgeous.
Grizzly Country is amazing and so full of energy when you think you might come upon one on a trail, and when you actually do find one in the wild just 30 yards away!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
I would definitely prefer seeing one from the safety of the car but then would be afraid it would come up to my car and scratch it. I can't believe how close all of you were in Yellowstone when that brown grizzly crossed the road. What prevents the bear from attacking?
I for one would NEVER go out on a trail (even with a Ranger)in grizzly country. Is the Ranger armed with a rifle in case the grizzly were to attack? I just can't imagine how people can tent camp in grizzly areas. Look at the woman that was attacked out West last month? IMO it's playing Russian Roulette.
We have bears roaming in our woods here in CT and I've personally seen one come through my backyard twice. My neighbor lives on the outside of the circle and leaves birdfeeders out year 'round so they see them often. There are brown bears and not carnivores but I still have my fear. I am sure my 14 pound dachshund would chase after one if she were to see one in the yard. It would just take one swat of the bear's claw and my dog would be mangled. I have a healthy respect for wild animals.
We also have bobcats and coyottes in our woods and in the more rural areas, there are fishers.
Nothing can compare to seeing wild animals in their habitat as you did.
Amazing pictures. So cool!!!
But, I have a serious question for you: how is it safer to be outside 30 ft. away from a grizzly on a road vs. a trail? (I would have stayed in the car, I think.)
Rachael ~ I know, but really it was safer because the Park Ranger was right there outside controlling the people and the bear on the first sighting. The second we stayed in our car because of no Ranger around. Safer in that the Ranger had a gun, we did not, and there was NO WAY I would have wanted to see the Grizz on a trail completely vulnerable in that regard.It was really cool. You would have gotten out of the car.
Post a Comment