Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Swim Number 10

I had been missing my alone time at the lap swims at the public pool.  I know.  Me?  Missing swimming?  It was a pinch me moment.  So I sent an email to my mom asking if she would want to pick the kids up from Music Camp and keep them for the day.  She wrote back in all caps, bold, and in a purple color so it would stand out, YES!!!!!
With lunch sack and water clothes in a backpack, I dropped the kiddos off at 9am at church this morning.  I ran a few quick errands and then headed for the pool.  Ahhh, to be back in the water with the bonus of an entire lane all to myself for an hour.  Life was good.

I suddenly realized, however, that my sore arm muscles were going to get really stretched and worked on while I was doing my first lap.  Ouch.  I know I have shared before that I go in spurts at the gym of using weights.  And many commented that if I would just be consistent, that the ouch-factor would slowly go away and be normal.  Yeah, I heard and accepted the comments, but that doesn't mean I took the advice.

I worked my arms a lot in the pool and by the end of the hour they were feeling pretty good.  I have come to the point in my swimming where I don't have to think about my technique.  I can let my mind wander and that is a pretty good feeling.  I pick one thing to focus on for each lap, but I don't have to focus on everything at once; like I had to in April just to stay on top of the water.

When I first started, my private swim instructor suggested that I just try to breath on one side.  She thought my coordination was a little off and that one-sided-breathing would work better for me.  So I picked my left side and have been doing that.  But today I wanted to mix it up a little and challenge myself.  I tried alternating with my right side.

It felt good to have that "start over" feeling. You know when you are going through the motions and it feels like everything is working and you don't have to think ... and then you throw in a new dynamic and it feels like you have never done something before in your life?  Sometimes I like that feeling.

I did it. I  was able to go a couple laps alternating left and right.  I wasn't as shaky as I had been at the beginning of April, so I consider that a plus and a new challenge to keep improving, so that the newness wears off and I don't have to think again.

The rest of the day I sat in our blow up pool that fits two adults comfortably on circle blow-up inner tube floaties. My husband and I had some catch-up time in the pool.  It was the best; so relaxing.

My buddy will be taking off soon to hit a bucket of golf balls and take some pictures of our gorgeous mountain from the golf course.  I will be reading outside in the quiet until my children come home for bed.

Life is good.  A great summer day!

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Perfect is right!

Kathy said...

Sounds like a relaxing day!
So proud of you for keeping up with your swimming. What a difference a few months make :) I'm glad you are enjoying your time in the water so much - especially since it used to be such a fear. I'm impressed with your stamina too! One hour of laps?!?
BTW - I had issues with my comments posting too - must have been a blogger glitch!

Elle J said...

Kathy - I have gotten comments from other friends too .. "One Hour of Laps?" Yes, honest!! Which makes me wonder "Am I doing it right?" because many question that. LOL!! I break it up, some laps with flippers, some with out, backstroke, crawl stroke, kickboard, etc. But I keep swimming laps for the hour.