Whew! I did it. Amazing what flippers will do to training a non-swimmer how to swim. Yesterday I got in the pool for lap swim with flippers attached to both feet. Did you know that they are not marked Left or Right? Yep, you just put them on either foot. Yes, I did ask that question in my last swim lesson. You can tell I am a true novice. I also asked if using flippers was the same leg motion as riding a bike. No, it is not the same motion. That last swim class was full of laughs on both the instructor and my part.
But who's laughing now? Yesterday I swam a half mile doing the crawl stroke. Up and down, back and forth I swam my little legs out. Using the flippers to help my endurance, I was able to concentrate on the rhythm of my breathing and using strong arms. Forty laps later, I finally realized that my arms were taking off too soon from one another. I needed to wait for the first arm to return to the starting position before my second arm took off.
There is plenty of time to think and evaluate yourself when you are going back and forth in the lap lanes. But I do find it very relaxing and motivating. Almost like the Energizer Bunny in a swim suit, or Forest Gump. I just keep going.
I did practice for ten laps with out the flippers, but I will admit that the flippers for me now, while I am still perfecting, are my favorite. A better training wheel alternative than water wings.
4 comments:
Way to go, friend! I am so impressed! I also used the flippers until I got comfortable, I think it's way easier to learn that way. (On a sad note, I got myself up at 5:30 this morning to hit the pool all by myself, got ready, drove myself down there -- and it wasn't open for public swim. I couldn't believe it! I've never gone without a friend before, for fear of drowning w/o a life guard noticing, so I really took a big step to go alone. Except not, because the pool wasn't available.)
Holly ~ bummer!! Any good reason why it was closed? Thanks for the support; I really am having fun and hope to swim like our mutual good friend W/O flippers some day for a half mile+. =)
Way to go! :)
Good for you - a half mile! Your confidence must be really boosted.
Post a Comment