Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Few Good Men

A few good men live at my house.  My husband.  And my son.

Tuesday is my busy after-school day where I am out of the house from 3pm until now (8:45'ish).  All school year this has been the routine.  I pack the TKD outfit and after school snack in the car and drive to the school.  I have my last moments of quiet reading while strategically parked in the pickup line. At 3:30 I go to the school benches to meet my fellow mom friends and chat for ten minutes until the rush of students are dismissed to their appropriate parent.

While both of my children walk to my car, only my son enters and my daughter and I stand waiting for just a few seconds for my husband to drive up next to us to take my daughter home.  While she is at home eating her dinner, changing into dance attire, and fixing her own dance hair, I am at the TKD studio with my son.

At Five o'clock I am driving home with my son to drop him off at home to literally grab my sack dinner from the counter to eat in the car while I travel thirty minutes away with my daughter to dance.  While away, my husband and son have guy-time which consists of wrestling, playing a competitive sports xBox game, building a car model, going fishing, or cooking.

Tonight I came home to the smell of homemade banana bread.  I had merely set out the cookbook to page 42 and wrote a note on sticky paper to my son: If you are interested, you could make this recipe.  I just bought walnuts and they are in the pantry.  Smiley face and loves and I signed my name ... Mom.

My son made the entire banana bread recipe by himself while my husband was finishing work in his office.  But while the bread was a yummy and amazing surprise (Yes, he did it!), I was even more impressed that the kitchen was spotless!!

The dishwasher had been unloaded and reloaded and started; the steam is still rising from the completed wash.  The counters have no residue.  The Kitchen Aid is put away.  The bread is incredibly perfect and equally tasting.

The boys even had time to compete in a baseball xBox game (my son's current favorite), watch some MLB on television, and have time to get ready for bed; teeth brushed and all.

LOVE THE FEW GOOD MEN that live at my house!!  Thank you, Guys!!

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Do you rent him out?

Rachael said...

Wow, that is pretty impressive: he cooks and cleans up after himself?! You are turning him out well!! =)