Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Got Teary Eyed

One of the highlights to our weekend was participating in our first 5k event.  The kids and I woke to a beautiful, clear, sunny morning on Saturday, threw on our walking shoes and headed South to a newly revitalized downtown city.  Parking the car in the free lot, walking to the Light Rail Tram, jumping on to head to our destination, it was as if we had done this a dozen of times it was so easy.  When in fact, we had done this city and Light Rail only once prior with our dear photographer friend.

We were headed to the annual Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation 5k Walk to a Cure Event. The starting point was packed.  Party music was blaring through the speakers, laughter and conversation mixed throughout the crowd, balloons and streamers were set about, and tables were set up for each Walk Team.  Finding our Cure Crew, we mingled for awhile before the Walk began.
And then we were off.  To say that I didn't get a little teary eyed when I walked through the balloon arch to start would be a lie.  Part mom and just part me, I tear at the littlest of things.  But to be fair, I have known this cool dude that we were Walking for since he was in Preschool.  At the time we lived in the same neighborhood and we had a mutual friend in common.  His mom and I became fast friends when we used to spend one Friday a month together at a Stampin'Up event coordinated by our mutual friend.
The years went on and our friendship grew.  This cool little man and my daughter have been in classes together at their elementary school, in fact they are currently in the same fifth grade class.  I also teach this Sport piano every Monday.  His happy self always is present; I have never seen him have a bad day.  He is talkative, energetic, athletic, while at the same time reserved and sweet. An all around good kid.
So when the calendar was empty for the day of the JDRF Walk to a Cure this year, we said Absolutely we would walk.  The kids and I had a great time with his Walk team during the 5K course. My kids had such a blast that they immediately said they would want to participate again and again and again.  My daughter already has plans cookin' on what she can personally do to raise money for next year's Walk.

Yes, I got teary eyed ... because this family is absolutely so deserving of a Cure!

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

How wonderful for you and the kids to participate and even more so when you know one of the boys.

Kathy said...

Good for you to participate and get your kids involved too. I love the fact that your daughter is already excited about next year. That shows you are doing a great job as a role model and parent! :)