Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Opening Day

An old man calls of hot dogs and licorice as I walked by the green gates that led to our home towns Major League Ballpark this afternoon. Bundled in my ski coat and hooded sweatshirt, arm in arm with my favorite date, we walked up the ramp to our seats and sat. Today was the first game of the season played at home.

The exciting news is that our favorite player came back to our team. After a ten year leave, he's back and we are excited! This summer, when we take them to a game or two, our kids will finally get to see the legend that they have heard about.

Although the sun shone brightly on the field, the chill of the stadium seats was warmed by the energy of the fans, the wafting of garlic fries, fish and chips, hot chocolate, and hot dogs. The sold-out crowd did The Wave a few rounds, stood on their feet for standing O's in acknowledgment of our Super Star's return, and slapped high fives with strangers as we won the game in extra innings.

Opening Day. Love the ambiance of our green field, the skyline backdrop, the fireworks, the announcers, the music, the kids, the adults ... all joining in for America's Favorite Pass Time.

Gotta Love it! Sodo Mojo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I like the beginning of your post much better than what mine would read...

A bunch of sixth grade girls giggled, sassed, and gossiped as I waited in the black couch that sits in our local dance company's waiting room this afternoon.

maureenh said...

As a NEW YORK YANKEE!!!! Fan I have alot to look foward to, when the "Greatest Team" has its home opener in a new "Yankee Stadium"
The other N.Y. team the Mets, opened their new stadium, with the great Tom Seaver throwing out the first pitch. I have always been a big fan of Tom Seaver and have a large picture of him in my bedroom.

Elle J said...

Anonymous ~ ... and I've been on that same black couch and witnessed that before ... sure hope our girls do not follow suit, huh? :)