My friend is on the tail end of her cancer treatments - Praise God! She has two treatments remaining and she is counting down the days and weeks until she can walk out of the Infusion Center for! good!
Today I drove her to her weekly immunity boost appointment. It was a quick procedure and she is amazing. I know that once someone has done something so many times they can no longer count the times, and when someone has been through so much with surgery, radiation, and chemo ... one shot perhaps is no big deal. I would like to think that I would be so brave and capable as my friend was today. Simply amazing - her courage.
They hooked her up to a heart rate monitor and I'm sure her pulse and results were much more calm than mine. Just the thought of my friend about to be shot in the stomach with vitamins got my blood pumping. She was her usual self making conversation and cute one liners with the nice Infusion Center nurse.
She said the shot is painful; it stings like a bee. But as soon as he was done with the procedure, she just got up and started walking out the door. She was done. I turned to her and asked her if she wanted to just chill out in the chair for a bit. She laughed and said it was okay. I think she's had enough of those chairs and rooms.
My mom has been a volunteer in the Infusion Center every Wednesday during the summer. I applaud her courage to see patients who are very ill on a weekly basis, to comfort them, to be of service to them. My friend does not 'look' like she is ill. However, I know what 'ill' looks like when my friend's husband battled and lost. It is not a comforting feeling, it is raw, painful, hard.
I'm thankful my mom can do it - she can walk in and brighten their day - and leave. She can think and pray for her contacts during the week, and check back the next to know that they are still there; getting better. One day I know there will be a Cure - and what a joyous day that will be. But for now, I am glad to know that there are a team of people, employeed and volunteered, to care for those that need the support.
1 comment:
I feel that if the US can have a man walk on the moon years ago in the summer of 1969, then drug companies can find a cure for cancer. I often wonder if drug companies are holding back as they are making so much with cancer treatment meds.
Your mom is amazing to do this. I never would be able to.
Get well wishes to your friend as her treatment comes to an end.
Post a Comment