Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chinese Checkers

One of the neat things about gift giving for Christmas is making gifts, and I especially enjoy receiving gifts that are handmade. This one is from my dad to my family.
Within the year of his retirement about six years ago, he was diagnosed with cancer which threw us all for a loop. We pulled together fast and determined, and supported him in what was a rather quick correction and recovery. At the time, however, it seemed like the world was spinning at a snails pace and everything was a wait process. Life could not have come to a more screeching halt than during those months.

I am not sure if it was during those recovery months if he thought long and hard about what his retirement should have looked like, or could look like. But it seems like he started woodworking a few months post recovery. He was back on board and finding purpose to his days. Tinkering, thinking, creating, using his head kind of skills. It was just what his body had ordered.

He was proficient from the start, being self-taught by reading lots. Building neat model cars, birdhouses, jewelry boxes, games, etc. - some for himself to keep, and some as gifts. His garage has grown not only cleaner, but more efficient in order to hold all of his tools, equipment, and work space.

So when we received this neat Chinese Checkers board game from him it warmed my heart. I can imagine the time it took for him to make every divot, to align it correctly, to make the board so smooth, and to make it smell so good with the polish on top.
He also made a perfect box to hold all the neat marbles that he purchased for the game.
Growing up, my family had a Chinese Checkers game with Chinese dragons boarding the sides with different characters circled about. I loved, loved, loved playing the game. Sometimes, if I didn't have an opponent, I would just play with multiple colors and do it myself, or just watch the marbles swirl around to make cool shapes.
Now I have a Chinese Checkers game for my family. The best part is that it was built with pure love and joy from MY DAD! Nothing greater!

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

A handmade gift - how wonderful. Your father did a beautiful job on the Chinese checker board. Homemade gifts are the best as they show all the thought and love that went into them. To have it from your father makes it even more special.

I hope your father's health continues to be good.

The man that lived next door was a master woodworker/carver. One Xmas he made me a bread board from different woods. It has a striped effect and I think of him each time I use it.