We met through the blog. Her mother was a recipient of a Service Dog through Canine Companions a few short years ago, and she had started to Puppy Raise during the time we were raising Haddie. We chatted via blog, but never joined each other on Facebook or texting or email.
Weeks prior to Haddie's Turn-In in February, she made a comment on my Blog that she would be there, and that it would be fun to meet. I agreed. I was looking forward to seeing her face to face, and I knew that she had a new puppy, named Spunky, that she would be bringing along.
But when the time came for us to meet face to face, all I could do was say a very weak Hi and I had to leave. I was in a slight panic, not really sure how to control my emotions, as we sat through our first Matriculation and Graduation program for Canine Companions. I had been holding my emotions together fairly well all day, until we saw the slide show of our puppies, and heard the personal testimonies of Graduates who were receiving their assistance dogs that day.
In addition, it was within the hour where we would be back on campus to Turn-In Haddie. I didn't want to face the reality, or small talk, or do anything but run the opposite direction from campus. But I knew that I had to go and return Haddie to Canine Companions so she could start her journey in Advanced Training, and ultimately graduate to be a Service Dog.
Looking back, my friend and I can laugh at the awkwardness of our first meeting. Because now we talk daily over social media and texting; and seriously we talk more than just about Puppy Raising! There are so many things we say, or communicate through Stickers (inside joke), or photo share about our randomness of daily life, that this California Girl is just one of my faves.
This time around, my friend joined us to celebrate the Graduation of Haddie. Her first puppy Halo is scheduled to graduate in February. I couldn't imagine going through such an important and monumental day without my Calif Girl. I am so glad she was there for us; taking photos, talking, laughing, and just being by our side. She had gone through this day before; but on the side of a Graduate Family. Being able to ask her questions and get my excitement focused was perfect.
And then, after my sweet Calif Girl snapped the one and only photo of my family with Sharon and Haddie, and we watched them leave the reception hall bound for their life as a Team, we grabbed a few cookies and just soaked in the moment together in the reception hall - finding the outside as one of the last to leave.
Her parents were waiting for us, her mom had mentioned she had heard of a good Italian Restaurant not far from where we were standing, and wanted to know if we should all go there for dinner. Plugging in her Siri and asking for "Italian" ~ the reply was Round Table Pizza.
We had a good laugh, and knowing that was NOT what we were thinking, we ditched the iPhone advice and traveled to an Italian Restaurant that we are keeping "our little secret". So on social media outlets, yes, we went to Round Table Pizza, but in reality it was everything Round Table wasn't.
The dinner was fabulous, the ambiance perfect, and the company spectacular. I can't really put my fingers on any one thing that this Calif Girl and her family provided - they are truly the whole package. We laughed, we talked, and we made a scene when our waiter turned into a Magician, adding more entertainment to our evening.
The inside jokes are ours, the laughter only for us, but the pictures say it all. We connected. I am so grateful for my Calif Girl, for her parents, for the easy friendship that just become more real and more solid on Haddie's Graduation day and night. I couldn't have imagined anything better to end the Perfect Canine Companions Day.
Much Love, My Calif Girl!! Thank you for not giving up on me when we first met. I am glad you gave me another chance. You really are a sparkle of sunshine to my days.

No comments:
Post a Comment