My husband and I had climbed this same "mountain" on a date a few years ago, leaving the kids behind with grandparents. We had our Beagle hike it with us on that day and we were amazed at how steep the climb was, and how absolutely amazing our little 12 inch Beagle handled it. This time, however, we left both dogs behind. While the first time worked out fine, I wouldn't say it was the best idea in taking her. Not every dog on the trail is well-behaved, and maneuvering down the trek with a dog at your side isn't the most fun either. One wrong pull of the leash and it gets a whole lot tougher than not.
Now that the kids were older, we suggested we climb. It is a well-known hike in our area, and the kids have heard how steep it was, but to convince them to go for it we said, "Just think, every time you pass this mountain, you will look at it knowing you climbed it!" And that was the quick sell.
The kids were amazing. They are in good shape, and my husband has maintained his endurance too. I, on the other hand, have let the daily exercise routine go and replaced it with everyday life moves of raising two puppies and keeping up with two Teens; my son is obviously half Mountain Goat and never runs out of air. However, for not being in as endurance-shaped as I was the last time I climbed, I wouldn't say that I had anything to be embarrassed about; I was pleasantly surprised (Yay Me!).
There are two views when you reach the top. One looks Southeast, and the next ten minute climb takes you further up just a bit to look the opposite side, Northwest. Both views are amazing and both sides are a hot spot for Para-gliders. Depending on the wind formation will depend which side they are jumping from. On this day, they were jumping from the Southeast, but we hiked to the top of Northwest to see that view as well.
What a great memory for my son, the day he turned 13 he climbed P*P*Point. Kinda a manly thing to do, and glad that we were doing it with him.
A birthday to remember - a family hike that now he can say he has done every time we pass this peak. Well done, son and daughter!!
No comments:
Post a Comment