As of last year, we have a tradition. With the first few fish that are caught during the week, we jump at the opportunity to host a Trout Throw Down. The gist is easy - my son and hubby do a cook-off of their Trout, and my parents judge the winner. The trouts are unmarked, there is no talking by the contestants during the taste test, and my daughter films the entire event (going from one Chef to the next) as if we are all part of Food Network.
I wish I could show the video here, but of course our names and identity are plastered all over the video. Maybe if I am ever feeling like giving up on this Blog and shut it down, I will reveal my last posts as videos. That would be kind of fun. But I don't have plans to shut down this Blog, so don't hold your breath.
My son created a Trout that had been wrapped in Bacon with the insides marinated and savored with pearl onions, butter, lemons, Thyme, and Rosemary. He did all of his own de-boning and figuring out how to cook the Trout and Bacon so that it was done, but not burnt. He even cleaned up his own mess. My son cooked out of our campsite.
In the other campsite, my parent's, my husband created a grilled breaded trout with sauteed vegetables inside mixed with the melting of mini-marshmallows. My parents stayed in their trailer, blinds closed, playing cribbage while the commotion of cooking by their son-in-law was taking place right outside. The deal was no peaking, and they didn't.
My husband's trout stumped my mom the most ~ she could not figure out what made the trout so "fluffy" and interesting textured (who would have thought of mini-marshmallows!). The flavor was very good, surprisingly, and he received high marks.
My son's trout was more traditional and created a full essence of trout flavor, which pleased the judges. They were particularly impressed that the trout came de-boned. It was also served with Ice Tea and Lemon, so it had great plate-appeal.
With much judge debating and bantering back and forth trying to finalize a winner, by a margin of one point, it was announced that My Son holds the title as Winner of Trout Throw Down 2013!! The father and son competitors are now even ~ next year will decide the tie.
I wonder what is in store for next year's Trout Throw Down! It is fun to see the progression and funny stories that come out while my daughter is filming. She does a great job interviewing each Chef during their making, and I make a quick guest appearance as "extra comic relief" during the show.
Trout Throw Down ~ who would have thought it would become tradition!
3 comments:
How did your husband think of mini marshmellows? I'll take your word for it that it was good and added to the trout.
What a fun event.
Haha, Tina!! He was going through our cupboards in the RV and pulled things together. It was ad-lib on both sides.
Missing your posts.
Post a Comment