I have so many thoughts and emotions taking up space that I am having a hard time concentrating on many things. I am making lists of lists to keep my brain as clutter-free as possible. I know flu and cold season is going around our area - I am one of the stats in the cold category - but I am trying my best to stay calm and not let worry consume me. I know that is counter-productive to staying healthy.
Eighteen months ago we started volunteering for Canine Companions for Independence, and I started a new blog called, Paws for Independence. I have tried very hard to keep our family's volunteer work separate from my Elle J Thoughts blog. Partly because I knew the task of Puppy Raising a Service Dog was going to be a whole lot of work and take much of my attention, that I didn't want to turn my family life blog ... right here on Elle J Thoughts ... into all things-puppy.
Considering that my husband warned me that keeping two blogs was going to be a juggling act, I think I have done well given the circumstances of my daily calendar. I am positive he would agree with me, and at the same time I completely agree with his warning - it has been a hard juggling act.
We are nearing our completion of Puppy Raising Haddie. Next week we will begin our journey to California to return her to CCI so she can begin Advanced Training. If she is deemed worthy of staying in training, then she will graduate at the earliest in August of this year. If she is chosen for a different program other than a Service Dog (Hearing Dog, Diabetic Dog), it could be later in the year.
Because there are no guarantees in life, even for the four legged, she could receive an early dismissal and have her Change of Career papers anytime prior to August. That would mean that she would come back to our city and live with a very special family, our friends, as a very beloved and spoiled pet.
Of course we do not know what the future holds for Haddie, but we know that she will be perfectly placed in her forever family no matter if she is a Graduate of CCI, or a Change of Career puppy. That is what keeps us moving forward, knowing that she will have the best adventures in life coming her way. And that her lovable, sparkling personality will change someone's life for the better; Service Dog or Pet, she is just that amazing to do her job of "change for the better".
So in these next seven days as we prepare our hearts, our minds, and wrap our thoughts around the fact that We Really Did This!!! and our puppy raising days are coming to conclusion, I can honestly say that this has been the single best challenge and team building exercise our family has ventured into. I am honored to be a Puppy Raiser for CCI, and most grateful to my family who have stuck together, pitched in, and made it work with lots of dedication, interest, and love (not only towards Haddie) but towards each other.
What's Up?! A whole lot of emotions, and thoughts, and ... well ... pride.
1 comment:
I'm sure it's been hard knowing that the time is drawing near to bring Haddie to CA for advanced training/testing. You all have done such an amazing job with her and whether she goes on to be a service dog or a family pet to your friends, she is super.
Enjoy your vacation while in CA.
Post a Comment